Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ozkan Mehmedali <zk...@abv.bg> on 2007/10/03 14:43:01 UTC

Unknown encoding: 8-bit

Hi,

our servers receives occasionally emails with Content-Transfer-
Encoding: 8-bit and James cannot process them - emails are moved to
the error/ directory.
This is what is logged in phoenix.console

exception! javax.mail.MessagingException: Malformed message;
   nested exception is:
         java.io.IOException: Unknown encoding: 8-bit

Usually I don't care about these emails because they are spam. But
sometimes they are just newsletters which I prefer to be processed
even thought they are not correctly formatted. Is there a way I can
make james ignore these errors?

We have a processor that manages to read these emails by catching the
IOException:
} catch (IOException e) {
message.setHeader("Content-Transfer-Encoding", "7bit");
May be this is not the best way to do it but at least it works for us.

Our server is James v2.3.1

Thanks,
Ozkan

Re: Unknown encoding: 8-bit

Posted by Ozkan Mehmedali <zk...@abv.bg>.
Can anyone help on this?

Re: Unknown encoding: 8-bit

Posted by Martin Brown <ma...@3bview.com>.
Hi Ozkan,

> exception! javax.mail.MessagingException: Malformed message;
>    nested exception is:
>          java.io.IOException: Unknown encoding: 8-bit

I hit something similar. It turned out to be a problem with the JVM
installer.

The Windows JRE installer doesn't automatically install the Asian
character encodings unless Windows is running in a Asian locale - it
leaves out some jars.

With James everything works until you get an email from Asia - at which
point it throws this error.

So you either need to:
 - install the JVM again, with the missing locales and character
encodings
 - work out which jars are missing and add them from the JDK

HTH

Martin

Filtered by 3BClean from http://www.3bview.com