Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@cyberneko.net> on 2002/01/28 19:43:19 UTC

[Xerces2] Stop the Release! -- ALL PROJECTS PLEASE READ

Okay, perhaps "Stop the Release!" is a little harsh but I wanted to get
your attention. ;)

After a long journey, Xerces 2.0.0 is scheduled to be released THIS
WEEK! Aren't you excited? I know I am. However...

I believe that there are still a few things that need to be straightened
out *before* we release. First are the changes I have listed in my
important is fixing (or getting a commitment to fix) the projects that
are still failing with the Xerces2 build as mentioned by Sam Ruby. Just
as a reminder, you can view the output of Gump using Xerces2 at the
following URL:

    http://nagoya.apache.org/~rubys/gump/xerces2/

I looked at a few of the offenders and, for the most part, it is more of
a simple oversight than a problem with Xerces2. (e.g. importing
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser even though it no longer exists
and isn't even used in that source file.) This makes me feel better but
all of these reported failures are a big black eye that I would like to
be healed before we release.

Therefore, I would like an immediate response from the following
projects regarding status, planned fix, etc. so that we can move forward
with the Xerces 2.0.0 (NON-BETA!!!) release: (These are the project
currently reporting errors from the latest Gump run. If the problem has
already been fixed, please disregard this message.)

    xml-batik
    jakarta-turbine-torque
    jakarta-turbine-2
    jakarta-avalon-cornerstone
    jakarta-cactus-22
    jakarta-tomcat-4.0
    xml-security

If you are involved with any of these projects, please look into the
errors reported by Gump and either fix it, if you can, or tell the
Xerces-J team what is wrong with the version 2 parser. And if you choose
the latter, please make your bug report correct and complete. Thanks!

-AndyC

report status.

Re: [Xerces2] Stop the Release! -- ALL PROJECTS PLEASE READ

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Andy,

I have made the changes required to compile the HEAD branch of
jakarta-tomcat-4.0 with either xerces-2_0_)_beta4, or with an earlier
version.  Based on this experience, I believe that you are oversimplifying
the nature of the problem some people might have in implementing this
switchover.

For any application (including Tomcat) that only uses an XML parser
through the JAXP APIs, there are no code changes required.  However,
Tomcat (like *lots* of other packages that are built with Ant) uses Ant
properties to define the pathname of the parser (typically with a property
named "xerces.jar").  The assumption that there is only one necessary file
is no longer true with beta4.

Even though splitting the API classes away from the implementation is
absolutely the right thing to do (having them together in xerces.jar is a
major cause of class path problems for webapps), it is non-trivial to
create a build environment that can adapt to *either* an old version or a
new version of the packaging, unless you are pretty good at understanding
conditionals in Ant scripts.

If you get questions on how this can be done gracefully, feel free to
point people at the Tomcat build system (particularly the file
"catalina/build.xml" in the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" repository).

Craig McClanahan

PS:  At the present time, we are approaching a final release of Tomcat
4.0.2.  My preference is to continue shipping Tomcat 4.0.x with the stable
Xerces 1.4.4 release, rather than risk a disruptive change at this point
in time.  Therefore, I have *not* ported these changes to the CVS branch
being used for that release (tomcat_40_branch).  If Gump is trying to
build this branch against Xerces 2.0.0beta4, it's going to continue to
fail.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Andy,

I'm answering to your request (which was ... err ... how shall I say ...
in French we would say "cavaliere" ... which is a nice word for saying
"not expressed in a very kind manner", especially as you're the one
asking for a favor !).

I am answering from the point of view of Cactus. I am a Cactus
committer. I have investigated the issue by first reproducing the
problem, by grabbing the jars from 29th of Feburary. I could reproduce
the pb fine. Then I have updated them, one at a time, grabbing the
latest one (from 1st of February) ... for each new jar I reran the build
and everytime it was still failing until I grabbed the latest
xercesImpl.jar ... and then everything worked fine ... :-)

Conclusion :
- The problem with the Cactus build was caused by an issue with Xerces 2
and Stylebook.
- It seems the issue was with Xerces 2 rather than with Stylebook as it
now works with the latest Xerces 2 jars.

I am not subscribed to the xerces-j mailing-list and have thus not
followed the latest modifications made to Xerces 2. Does it make sense
it is now working fine ?

Could Sam or someone else rerun the build on Nagoya to verify everything
is working ?

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.