Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/19 19:18:14 UTC

Maven + Subversion directory structure

I'm migrating a number of projects and modules to Maven. I'm confused on
how the directories should be set up.

Maven wants this:

/projectname
	/module0
		/src
	/module1
		/src

Subversion wants this:

/root
	/projectname
		/branches
		/tags
		/trunk
			/module0
				/branches
				/tags
				/trunk
					/src
					etc.

The way I read the documentation, Maven finds modules based on directory
name, and the svn naming convention is going to mess things up.

Where should /branches, /tags, and /trunk go in a Maven directory structure?

Re: Maven + Subversion directory structure

Posted by Mathieu Lemay <ml...@inocybe.ca>.
Hi Chris I'm doing the Maven plugin for Globus right now to build and
create the GARs.. ;) that's perfect!!

I probably can be of assistance...I have a meeting in 2 mins I'll write
a little more later..

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks. This seems like the right answer.

Posted by John Coleman <jc...@traxtech.net>.

Posted by Chris <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Umm, no.

Posted by John Coleman <jc...@traxtech.net>.
Seems like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Maven is
for.  Maven is a build tool, similar to Ant.  The structure that Maven
"wants" is a conventional way to setup your project so that Maven can
build it with minimal fuss.

A Maven repo and a Subversion repo are two different things.  You will
store your Maven project in the Subversion repo, but the compiled jar/
war/artifacts are stored in the Maven repository.  This can be as
simple as a file system exposed by an HTTP server - but you will not
generally deploy source code there.

Have a look at the book "Better Builds with Maven" found here

http://maven.apache.org/articles.html

along with some other useful resources.

Coleman

On Feb 19, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Chris wrote:

> I'm migrating a number of projects and modules to Maven. I'm
> confused on how the directories should be set up.
>
> Maven wants this:
>
> /projectname
> 	/module0
> 		/src
> 	/module1
> 		/src
>
> Subversion wants this:
>
> /root
> 	/projectname
> 		/branches
> 		/tags
> 		/trunk
> 			/module0
> 				/branches
> 				/tags
> 				/trunk
> 					/src
> 					etc.
>
> The way I read the documentation, Maven finds modules based on
> directory name, and the svn naming convention is going to mess
> things up.
>
> Where should /branches, /tags, and /trunk go in a Maven directory
> structure?

John Coleman
TRAX Tech Services
434.509.0063 x116 (w)