Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Dan Moore <mo...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/06 07:29:58 UTC

moving portlets within columns, difference between src and binary jetspeed

Hi folks,

I'm taking a look at jetspeed.  It's important for my users to be able
to move portlets up and down within columns, without editing PSML
files.  (We plan to have the PSML in the database.)  I've looked at the
customizer, but can't seem to figure out how to do this with the
TwoColumn controller (or the enhanced two column controller).  The UI
just doesn't seem to be there.

I'm running Jetspeed 1.5 that I built from the source, on Tomcat
4.1.30, and I'm looking at the Jportal application that I built
following the tutorial directions.

Now, if I install Jetspeed 1.5 binary war file, I see that once I
login, I can move things around in columns.  But if I have the same
psml file for the turbine user, I just don't get the same 'Customize
Pane' interface, even if I specify in my project.properties (in the
tutorial directory) the jetspeed war binary that I downloaded (as
opposed to the jetspeed binary that I built).  I've done a diff on the
two WEB-INF/conf (jetspeed, from the binary, jportal from the built
tutorial section) directories, and don't see anything obviously
different.  I searched on the mailing list, and didn't see anything
obviously relevant.

(Is it the classes that are different?  I looked at this, but wasn't
sure what classes are in jetspeed/WEB-INF/classes and how they differ
from the jetspeed/WEB-INF/lib/jetspeed-1.5.jar or
jportal/WEB-INF/lib/jetspeed-1.5.jar [which, incidentally, aren't the
same size].)

I guess my question is, I like the maven build process, or I like the
fact that I can keep my project separate from jetspeed, and just merge
my classes with jetspeed.  But I need to functionality that only the
binary jetspeed war has (moving portlets around).  Is there any way to
have both, or should I just give up on the maven plugin and develop in
the binary jetspeed tree?

Thanks for your time,
Dan