Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com> on 2020/05/29 13:00:01 UTC

[DISCUSS] Naming of the transfer operators/Hooks

Hello everyone

We had a  discussion in Slack which turned out that we have yet another
opportunity to name the operators/hooks a bit more consistently. Seems that
we did not have any rule on how to name Transfer operators and we have
different conventions already.

Explanation those are the two examples of conventions we have for transfer
operators:

[1] *S3ToHiveOperator*
[2] *S3ToHiveTransferOperator*
[3] *S3ToHiveTransfer*
[4] We do not care about consistency

Some initial comments that I gathered from the discussions::

- Why [1] and not [2,3]: "To" and "Transfer" seem a bit redundant
- Why [2] and not [1,3]: Longest, but most descriptive. It's easy to see
that it's an Operator, but you get the Transfer purpose as well. sometimes
when we use Acronyms (S3ToGCS :) ) it's hard to distinguish "To" from the
acronyms.
- Why [1, 2] and not [3]: All Operators (but not Sensor) end with "Operator"
- Why [3]: and not [1,2]: To introduce distinction: "Sensor", "Operator",
so maybe "Transfer" should be another "entity" and in the future, we might
implement a more generic Transfer approach

I will let the discussion run till the end of today and cast a formal vote
afterwards

I do not yet cancel Backport RC3, because I am not sure if this is
something we might want to do - maybe after discussion we decide we leave
the status quo.

Discussion in slack here:
https://apache-airflow.slack.com/archives/CCPRP7943/p1590746507407100?thread_ts=1590742848.402600&cid=CCPRP7943

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [DISCUSS] Naming of the transfer operators/Hooks

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
1 looks nice and clean

Op za 30 mei 2020 om 11:37 schreef Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Kamil Breguła <ka...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Bas Harenslak <ba...@godatadriven.com.INVALID>.
#1 for me, to me the “To” in the name already implies a transfer between two systems.

Bas

Posted by Xinbin Huang <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Standish <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samuel Tu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samuel Tu <sa...@gmail.com>.
I am in favor of [2] as sometime an operator can be used to do other operation such as branching.

Thanks
Sam

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.