Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by samg <sa...@wellogic.com> on 2007/07/18 20:47:41 UTC

JMS reliability : AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE vs. CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE

Hi folks,
in my ongoing effort to not lose messages I've made another change to
servicemix-jms : It seems to me that three of the four processors
(standard/multiplexing consumer/provider combinations) can be trivially
switched to CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE without any performance hit at all (they can
all do the receive() and acknowledge() in one synchronous flow), so I've
done so.  I'm not using the MultiplexingConsumerProcessor, and it is the one
complex case.
This Issue :
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/SM-555
 requests that it be added as an option, but perhaps it makes sense in these
cases to just switch over to CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE?  Let me know what you
think.
-Sam

Re: JMS reliability : AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE vs. CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/18/07, samg <sa...@wellogic.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> in my ongoing effort to not lose messages I've made another change to
> servicemix-jms : It seems to me that three of the four processors
> (standard/multiplexing consumer/provider combinations) can be trivially
> switched to CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE without any performance hit at all (they can
> all do the receive() and acknowledge() in one synchronous flow), so I've
> done so.  I'm not using the MultiplexingConsumerProcessor, and it is the one
> complex case.
> This Issue :
> https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/SM-555
>  requests that it be added as an option, but perhaps it makes sense in these
> cases to just switch over to CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE?  Let me know what you
> think.

Thanks for pointing this out, Sam. This is actually fixed in the trunk
(3.2-SNAPSHOT) in the new JmsConsumerEndpoint class as a configurable
option via the setSessionAcknowledgeMode() method.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/