Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Adamantios Corais <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/23 11:37:05 UTC

Timing Script Performance

Hello,

I am looking for an efficient way to measure the performance of my pig
script in terms of time. I don't care about the overall execution time but
rather for the computation time of a single instance.

For example, let's assume that I have two separated instances and I want to
see how much does it take to join them. How could I time this particular
sub-process? Ideally, how could I time ALL the "individual" joins -
assuming that I had a bunch of instances in one side  and a single instance
on the other side - and then average all these execution times?

I tried to write my own UDF but unfortunately the values I got were either
relative big (approximately 2 minutes!!!) or even negative - non consistent
values!!!

So, what's the best way to compute execution time of sub-process in pig?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Re: Timing Script Performance

Posted by Adamantios Corais <ad...@gmail.com>.
No one?

I thought that this would be the main point of reference for all those who
work on real-time analytics.

How you fellas decide upon whether or not your script is quite fast to be
utilized on a real-time environment?

Any help is very much appreciated.