Posted to users@maven.apache.org by cowwoc <co...@bbs.darktech.org> on 2011/01/27 19:47:01 UTC

Best Practices: Deploying large releases into Maven Central

Hi,

Do artifacts ever expire on the Maven Central Repository? Is there a size
limit to how big each artifact can be? I ask because some artifacts can get
very big and I am concerned that this may cause problems down the line.

I'll give you a simple example. My library depends on the Boost C++ library.
Boost starts out with 241MB of sources (75MB compressed). When you compile
it, you end up with 2.78GB of binaries (200MB compressed) per
compiler/platform combination (i.e. Visual Studio 2010, Windows, 32-bit).
You then have to multiply that number by the number of platforms you want to
support.

On the one hand, I don't want users building Boost themselves because it is
a very painful and lengthy process. On the other hand, I get the feeling
that uploading GB of artifacts per release is not the right way to go ;)

My library only depends on a very small subset of of Boost so technically
speaking I could upload just that subset (at a cost of approximately 10MB
per platform). I am concerned about what will happen long-term. What happens
if more people begin using Boost and each one uploads the subset that they
depend on...?

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/1.44.0/ for
an example of how Boost modules can be split up. As you can see, individual
modules are quite small.

A similar topic has come up before:
http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Best-practice-re-releasing-large-assembly-artifacts-td3250739.html
but in my case I am not trying to deploy assemblies into central. I am
trying to deploy individual artifacts that happen to be very large.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Gili