Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by tom goodman <to...@bigfoot.com> on 2000/05/16 03:15:53 UTC

Beginner questions for setting up build environment

I'm trying to set up an JSP, servlet, bean, apache, jakarta-tomcat, java 1.2
environment.  and would like to use ant to manage the compile dependencies.
I have all the pieces installed.

Can someone tell me where I might find a good running demo of this that I
can start with?  Or a good tutorial?  I dowloaded Sun's JavaPetStore code
demo (which uses ant, etc) but it looks like that requires the  J2EE sdk
which doesn't seem to be available on Linux yet.

Two basic questions:

1) I've have the java files in a hierarchy and want to compile the entire
tree into a single jar file containing .class files.  Is there a simple way
to do that?

2) The files need to compile in the right order to satisfy the include
dependencies in the .java files.

I know this must be simple stuff written up in a doc somewhere but I can't
find it.
If ant (or something simpler) helps, I'll gladly use it.

Thanks any help.

tom

Re: Beginner questions for setting up build environment

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.
Hi Tom,

 tg> 1) I've have the java files in a hierarchy and want to compile
 tg> the entire tree into a single jar file containing .class files.
 tg> Is there a simple way to do that?

Sure, look at Ant's own build.xml which does exactly what you want for
Ant itself.

 tg> 2) The files need to compile in the right order to satisfy the
 tg> include dependencies in the .java files.

All files are compiled at the same time which is guaranteed to be the
right order 8^).

 tg> I know this must be simple stuff written up in a doc somewhere
 tg> but I can't find it.

See docs/index.html in Ant's CVS repository and take a look at
spec/core.html to get a feeling for things to come.

HTH

        Stefan