Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/14 03:19:33 UTC

Should lookups be split out or otherwise disabled by default?

For the extra paranoid users and users who already use some other method of generating config files (e.g., using the ConfigurationBuilder DSL which already supports arbitrary Java code), it seems like a useful feature to make lookups an opt-in feature. What do you all think? Any splitting from core would need to be done for 3.x, though we can add @RequiredProperty annotations to StrLookup plugins in 2.x to make a similar change.
--
Matt Sicker

Re: Should lookups be split out or otherwise disabled by default?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
For the apps I work on, I don't see how to write configurations without
lookups, so it won't bring anything of value for me. For others, who knows.
The only value I see for separating anything in another module is to keep
log4j-core on java.base only.

Gary

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I think that depends on how you use Spring. My Spring app is deployed via Kubernetes where I can configure environment variables and config files to attach to each service. All my relevant data I might normally look up through Spring is exposed in multiple ways.

—
Matt Sicker

Posted by Apache <ra...@dslextreme.com>.