Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2023/01/04 03:03:38 UTC

Arrow sync call January 4 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is tomorrow at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

The Zoom meeting URL for this and other biweekly Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call January 4 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Posted by Benson Muite <be...@emailplus.org>.
On 1/7/23 05:54, Ian Cook wrote:
>> If a Google Doc is used, can it be configured to send out notifications of
> the summary to the list?
>
> Not as far as I know, but I think we can continue to send a copy of the
> notes to the mailing list after each biweekly meeting, copied and pasted
> from the Google Doc.
https://developers.google.com/docs/api/how-tos/overview
https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/docs

However, manually sending the notes is also fine.

Re: Arrow sync call January 4 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 17:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.

Posted by Benson Muite <be...@emailplus.org>.

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
Attendees:

Ian Cook
Dewey Dunnington
Ian Joiner
Will Jones
David Li
Bryce Mecum
Rok Mihevc
Eduardo Ponce
Matthew Topol
Jacob Wujciak

ADBC 0.1.0 release vote

- The vote is open [1]
- David is looking for more review and votes from PMC members and others

Jira to GitHub migration

- Work is underway to migrate existing issues from Jira to GitHub
- Rok is making progress using the scripts started by Todd
- Rok intends to start a discussion on Zulip about this, then test the
process, then do the migration next week
- Rok is in communication with GitHub about whether we can retain
issue authors and comment authors by using GitHub Importer; using
“mannequin users” will apparently not work; Jacob is also looking into
this and will contact ASF Infra if needed

Proposal to move sync call meeting notes into a Google Doc

- Will proposed that we share notes from sync calls in a publicly
viewable Google Doc instead of in emails to the mailing list [2]
- There was a discussion about whether managing edit access to this
Google Doc would be difficult and whether we should consider
alternatives such as GitHub or Confluence, but the consensus seemed to
be that a Google Doc would be best
- Further discussion welcome; we tentatively plan to begin using a
Google Doc in the next meeting

Upcoming 11.0.0 release

- We are targeting January 16 for code freeze
- Current plan is for Raúl to serve as the release manager and Kou to
do the source signing and other tasks that require PMC membership
- Some details of the release will depend on whether the Jira to
GitHub migration is complete before the release

Future directions for the Arrow R package

- In the first Arrow R Package dev sync call in December, there was a
discussion about R package development priorities after the 11.0.0
release [3]
- Ideas included: making it easier to contribute without building the
Arrow C++ library from source; using Substrait to represent the query
plan that is passed to Acero for execution
- Ideas and engagement welcome in the #r-chat Zulip channel and in
future R package dev sync calls; the next one will be on January 12

Extending the columnar types specification

- As previously discussed [4][5][6][7], work is ongoing to propose and
implement new columnar memory layouts in the Arrow specification,
based on learnings from other projects such as DuckDB and Velox
- The vote to add run-end encoded (REE) arrays to the Arrow format has
passed [8]
- Ben Kietzman is doing work in a branch of the monorepo [9] to
implement a columnar type similar to Velox's StringView; Ben is in
discussion with some of the Velox maintainers about the advantages of
using offsets instead of pointers

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vl9v32341xtmdy2x1n151gll4wgskboy
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/n4tm2nphoy1qgfbbll8174znkhtfpy3x
[3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nSIfJw8mfqtvScqvSVqmktpWff80pFmkqiZT7nTtiDo/