Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@apache.org> on 2009/06/16 18:18:29 UTC

More GitHub Sync Lag

Project: Apache Buildr.  It seems that the Git syncing is working fine for
the Apache mirror, but the GitHub clone thereof is almost a dozen commits
outdated.  The latest commit on the Apache mirror is
ff6519290d08b5dbf469be8284ccd1899e5873e3 (r785038).  However, the latest on
GitHub is f726a65f42f8ecd4afe36569f448506183fc1d0a (r783152).  Any idea why
this would be happening?

Daniel

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:

> On the 11th, I banned 91.121.27.60, for hitting us with over 970k hits on
> the 10th, and by the 11th there were another 600k + hits.
> Totaling 1.5m hits in just over 24 hours.  That is a lot.
>
> 0.27.121.91.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer node02.antelink.net.
>
> If this is them, we need to address their hit count.  Perhaps scheduling,
> or throttling connection limits.

Doesn't look like it's them, antelink.net looks fairly unrelated to Github.

Matthieu

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.
Well, way to go, Tony!  ;-)

This may seem like an obvious question, but why aren't they just going off
the commit mailing list like everyone else?  That would give them almost
zero lag time on syncing, and avoid unnecessary traffic on Apache's servers.

Daniel

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Daniel Spiewak<dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't the better approach to GitHub syncing be
> if your Git mirror script pushed not only to git.apache.org but also
> GitHub?  As far as your script is concerned, it's just another push that
> happens per commit, and as far as GitHub is concerned, it's just another
> worry-free repository.

Yes, something like that would be pretty trivial to set up on our side.

When I discussed this arrangement with the Github guys they preferred
a pull mechanism as (AFAIUI) they have some other mirroring setups
with similar scripting. Push-based updates were mentioned as something
we might want to do once everything is running smoothly.

I'm sure the Github people have their hands full with all sorts of
stuff, so I've tried to avoid pushing too much of our needs on their
plate. I assume they do their resourcing based on user demand more
than on upstream pressure, so the more people are cloning the
github.com/apache mirrors and asking for speedier updates, the more
inclined they'll be to ask for push updates from us. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Gavin<ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

we haven't banned anyone for bandwidth.

we generally only firewall on eris.apache.org, the actual svn server,
and not at any router level.

RE: More GitHub Sync Lag

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Gav...