Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Gabriel Commeau <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/13 22:55:19 UTC

Invalid default values

Hi all,

I’ve been looking into invalid default values when parsing Avro schemas using the maven plugin. I’ve followed the change AVRO-1652, and it makes sense to me to drop the print statement. However, I don’t understand the logic behind allowing invalid default values by default (in other words, why does VALIDATE_DEFAULTS end up false): If the user specifies a default value and gets it wrong, which is actually pretty common in my experience, this should be brought to his attention. Now that we don’t have the print statement with 1.8, there’s no feedback at all anymore.

What about defaulting the “validate defaults” variable to true? This can be done in the maven plugin, but I’d rather do it in the Avro parser instead. Before submitting a pull request, I wanted to check first why the logic is as it is.

Thank you.

Gabriel