Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Giulio Vezzelli <gi...@vezz.it> on 2002/12/17 00:16:50 UTC

How to implement a basic login

Greetings,

    this is my first posting in the Tomcat-User mailing list, after a couple
of months of "read-only". At work we just began working with Tomcat, after I
proposed it as our new platform / application-server for our web
applications. I managed to wrote some basic applications (JDBC connectivity,
some servlets, ecc) without help, but now I'm unsure how to implement our
login routines.

I do not quite understand if my "old" LoginManager servlet can do the job
(it stores the logged in user in a session parameter), or if I should focus
on some more security-specific Tomcat feature (like "realms", but I may have
misunderstood what they are).

Our applications are not security-critical (they are mostly for intranet
use) but still need a login; even though I want to implement since the
beginning something which can be ported to the internet. My task is to
create a login system for simple e-commerce-like catalogs and data query
pages (some users can see only certain data, the administrator can see
everything, and so on; we did this "manually" until now).

If anyone has some good advice on how to learn such task in a "modern" way,
I would be grateful :)

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.12 (and a 4.1.16 test environment), on JDK 1.4
(Windows platform).

TIA,

Giulio Vezzelli
http://www.infolog.it