Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michele Petrovsky <pe...@voicenet.com> on 1998/07/29 20:57:50 UTC

Way Off-Topic

Hi, folks.  I've been lurking on new-httpd for a few weeks now, and
finally got up the gumption to post this.

I'm a former 4GL programmer and Unix system manager who's
been making a living through a combination of teaching and tech
writing for the past several years.  I can't say enough about
how much I admire what you guys do, and how much I'd like
to help out in some way.

Trouble is, I never was and never will be able to code at your level.
Is there any other way I might make a contribution?

Thanks in advance; take care.

Michele Petrovsky

Way Off-Topic

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
Michele Petrovsky writes:
 > Trouble is, I never was and never will be able to code at your level.
 > Is there any other way I might make a contribution?

Absolutely.  For example you could set up a mirror.  Or you could
monitor the news groups and donate advise there.  Or you could monitor
the news groups and when a useful good answer appears you could
capture it and submit it as an addition to the FAQ or a revision to
the documenation.  Or you could take a part of the doc and revise it
"just for fun."

We could use some doc and examples for very simple sites that very
nieve users could use.  For example some little sites each wrapped up
in a tar file that a user could download, edit a little and get a
start on a site.

We could use some doc "So you want to setup a web site but you
don't have root privledges."

 > Thanks in advance; take care.
 >
 > Michele Petrovsky

thank you - ben

Re: Patch/kludge to mod_userdir

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Dave> Anyway, I've hacked mod_userdir to cache a runtime-configurable
Dave> number of getpwnam entries internally.  This was done because
Dave> our NIS server was handling a huge number of requests from one
Dave> of our web servers, and we needed some quick and dirty way to
Dave> reduce this.  The change seems to improve performance, though I
Dave> haven't had time to benchmark it at all.

What OS are you running?  The better NIS implementations have a daemon
running on each client that does this globably for all processes on
that client.  Its name, though, escapes me at the moment. [SIGH]

SunOS 5 definately has it, as does (will) glibc 2.1.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.
<cl...@jhcloos.com>

Re: Patch/kludge to mod_userdir

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
No, but if you have a limited number of filesxx and machinename and yy,
you can use a huge list of entries in your UserDir directive to make it
try each one.  That is quite inefficient though.

Posted by Dan Jacobowitz <dr...@false.org>.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Dave O'Neill wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > Don't you see a large blowup in RAM usage under heavy load?  each child
> > has to cache the names individually...
>
> Not really... the cache is a linked list, with each node containing a 9
> character string (the username), pointers to previous and next nodes, and
> a pointer to a passwd struct...  it adds up to about 61 bytes per node.
> Even with 200 children running, and a 50-node cache for each, it's only
> ~600K of total cache.
> Like I said before, though, there may be better ways to do it.

That would be larger than the L2 ... with lots of duplicated data... it'd
really affect the machine's performance.

Another option is to download the entire passwd table at restart time, and
then send SIGUSR1 to the server once an hour or so.  (Of course if you've
got multiple servers you want to stagger their restarts so you don't melt
the NIS server on the hour :)

> > Under high loads I'd think something like "UserDir /home/*/public_html"
> > would be far more effective.  Then the cache is in the filesystem and
> > shared between all processes.
>
> It would, if we could do that...  on one of our main servers (15000
> student accounts), the home directories are located in a rather bizzare
> directory structure (/filesXX/<machinename>/YY/<username>, where XX and YY
> are two different numbers) that's completely unfindable without a
> getpwent().

Right yeah I figured something like this.  I still tend to prefer symlink
trees to deal with it... /home/a/b/abner or somesuch.  mod_rewrite handles
multilevel hashes like that pretty well.

Dean

Re: Patch/kludge to mod_userdir

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Dave O'Neill wrote:

> > Under high loads I'd think something like "UserDir /home/*/public_html"
> > would be far more effective.  Then the cache is in the filesystem and
> > shared between all processes.
>
> It would, if we could do that...  on one of our main servers (15000
> student accounts), the home directories are located in a rather bizzare
> directory structure (/filesXX/<machinename>/YY/<username>, where XX and YY
> are two different numbers) that's completely unfindable without a
> getpwent().

Automatic generation of a mapping of usernames to homedirs every x hours,
then use mod_rewrite or make symlinks and use normal userdir stuff?

Re: Patch/kludge to mod_userdir

Posted by Dave O'Neill <dm...@ccs.carleton.ca>.
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Don't you see a large blowup in RAM usage under heavy load?  each child
> has to cache the names individually...

Not really... the cache is a linked list, with each node containing a 9
character string (the username), pointers to previous and next nodes, and
a pointer to a passwd struct...  it adds up to about 61 bytes per node.
Even with 200 children running, and a 50-node cache for each, it's only
~600K of total cache.
Like I said before, though, there may be better ways to do it.

> Under high loads I'd think something like "UserDir /home/*/public_html"
> would be far more effective.  Then the cache is in the filesystem and
> shared between all processes.

It would, if we could do that...  on one of our main servers (15000
student accounts), the home directories are located in a rather bizzare
directory structure (/filesXX/<machinename>/YY/<username>, where XX and YY
are two different numbers) that's completely unfindable without a
getpwent().

Dave
--
Dave O'Neill                              dmo@ccs.carleton.ca
Computing  and  Communications  Services, Carleton University

Re: Patch/kludge to mod_userdir

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Patch/kludge to mod_userdir

Re: Way Off-Topic

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On 29 Jul 1998, Michele Petrovsky wrote:

> Hi, folks.  I've been lurking on new-httpd for a few weeks now, and
> finally got up the gumption to post this.

way on topic.

> I'm a former 4GL programmer and Unix system manager who's
> been making a living through a combination of teaching and tech
> writing for the past several years.  I can't say enough about
> how much I admire what you guys do, and how much I'd like
> to help out in some way.
>
> Trouble is, I never was and never will be able to code at your level.
> Is there any other way I might make a contribution?

Zillions of ways.  Unfortunately, few of them are easy to get into and we
don't currently have much in the way of a framework setup to let people
contribute things into.

Documentation, especially more howto guides as opposed to reference manual
type stuff, helping with bug reports, etc.