Posted to users@maven.apache.org by To...@aviall.com on 2010/02/03 16:57:21 UTC

Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Hello,

My company is using Novell Proxy Server.  I am using maven-2.2..1.  I have
set up my configuration based on the documentation described here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html

When I try to down load plugins from the Maven Central Repo, I get
redirected to my companies Novell Proxy Server authentication web page;
where an actual user is required to enter their (eDirectory/LDAP)
credentials and click the submit button to be authenticated through the
proxy and then forward to the destination URL.

I don't understand why Maven is not sending the proxy information I
defined in my setting.xml file.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue.

Thanks!

Tonté

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_

This e-mail message, including attachments, may contain confidential,
proprietary, or export controlled information.
Any unauthorized disclosure, distribution, or other use is prohibited,
unless expressly authorized.
If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, and delete
all copies of the original message from your systems.

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
No I am not using NTLM as my proxy server is Novell Border Manager.  I
actually saw this wiki page a few days back and check with our System guys
to make sure I knew what we was using in terms of NTLM.  Thanks for the
reply.

Has anybody got out through the proxy that is not using a NTLM or CNTLM?

Thanks!

Tonté

From:
Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
02/04/2010 02:15 AM

2010/2/3  <To...@aviall.com>:
> When I try to down load plugins from the Maven Central Repo, I get
> redirected to my companies Novell Proxy Server authentication web page;
> where an actual user is required to enter their (eDirectory/LDAP)
> credentials and click the submit button to be authenticated through the
> proxy and then forward to the destination URL.

Just a fast question: are you using NTLM? This is your case if the
usernames are in the form:
domain\username
If yes, then this wiki might help you:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Configuring+Maven+behind+an+NTLM+proxy

It's worth a try :-)

Ciao
Antonio

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/2/3  <To...@aviall.com>:
> When I try to down load plugins from the Maven Central Repo, I get
> redirected to my companies Novell Proxy Server authentication web page;
> where an actual user is required to enter their (eDirectory/LDAP)
> credentials and click the submit button to be authenticated through the
> proxy and then forward to the destination URL.

Just a fast question: are you using NTLM? This is your case if the
usernames are in the form:
domain\username
If yes, then this wiki might help you:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Configuring+Maven+behind+an+NTLM+proxy

It's worth a try :-)

Ciao
Antonio

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
Ok I will check into this.

Thanks!

From:
Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
02/03/2010 02:39 PM
Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Resolving this in Maven is just a waste of time. As you switch to use
Nexus
you need to remove that config and configure Nexus instead.
Don't configure anything locally (except to use Nexus) and then configure
the proxy in Nexus. If you have problems doing that in Nexus, use the
Nexus
mailing list.

/Anders

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 18:29, <To...@aviall.com> wrote:

> Yes that is correct.  However, to simply the problem I configured my
> settings.xml file to not use my Nexus profiles and configured maven
> central repo manually in the settings.xml file.  So currently my
> configuration does not rely on Nexus.  I prefer, but not locked into,
> resolving this issue base on Maven first before resolving in Nexus.
>
> I don't think maven's proxy setting inside the settings.xml file are
being
> read correctly for Novel Border Manager.  Does anyone how to debug the
> proxy settings for maven?  BTW, I have made sure these settings are not
> commented out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tonté
>

> From:
> Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>
> To:
> Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
> Date:
> 02/03/2010 11:19 AM
> Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?
>

> > Thanks for your reply.  We are using Sonatype Nexus for our company
> maven
> > repo and we are actually using Novell Border Manager for our proxy
> server.
> >  I wonder if maven is not sending the correct credential properties to
> > Novell Border Manager?
>
> Aren't your proxying requests through Nexus to the outside world? So
> you should only need to worry about how Nexus is getting out (past
> Novell Border Manager), not Maven itself, right?
>
> Wayne

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
I understand.  I wonder if you know how I can get started in building a
plugin that extends the existing proxy framework in maven, in this regard?

Thanks!

From:
Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
02/04/2010 09:58 AM
Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

> Okay I removed my proxy settings in the settings.xml file and configured
> Nexus to use the proxy authentication via its server tab.  When I ran
> maven, it went through Nexus and then complained that my company has
> blocked access to maven central repo site.

1) The Nexus list would be the proper place to ask questions about Nexus.

2) There is always a possibility that no one in open source land has
ever run across Novell Border Manager and it is not
"standards-compliant" such that general proxy coding is not
sufficient, and so you will not be able to simply "configure and go"
but rather you will need to do some coding. I have no idea if this is
true, but it may be. It sounds like you have some research (and work)
to do on your end.

Wayne

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Okay I removed my proxy settings in the settings.xml file and configured
> Nexus to use the proxy authentication via its server tab.  When I ran
> maven, it went through Nexus and then complained that my company has
> blocked access to maven central repo site.

1) The Nexus list would be the proper place to ask questions about Nexus.

2) There is always a possibility that no one in open source land has
ever run across Novell Border Manager and it is not
"standards-compliant" such that general proxy coding is not
sufficient, and so you will not be able to simply "configure and go"
but rather you will need to do some coding. I have no idea if this is
true, but it may be. It sounds like you have some research (and work)
to do on your end.

Wayne

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
Okay I removed my proxy settings in the settings.xml file and configured
Nexus to use the proxy authentication via its server tab.  When I ran
maven, it went through Nexus and then complained that my company has
blocked access to maven central repo site.

If you have any more suggestion, I would be interested in anymore ideas on
how to resolve this.

Thanks!

From:
Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
02/03/2010 02:39 PM

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Resolving this in Maven is just a waste of time. As you switch to use Nexus
you need to remove that config and configure Nexus instead.
Don't configure anything locally (except to use Nexus) and then configure
the proxy in Nexus. If you have problems doing that in Nexus, use the Nexus
mailing list.

/Anders

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 18:29, <To...@aviall.com> wrote:

> Yes that is correct.  However, to simply the problem I configured my
> settings.xml file to not use my Nexus profiles and configured maven
> central repo manually in the settings.xml file.  So currently my
> configuration does not rely on Nexus.  I prefer, but not locked into,
> resolving this issue base on Maven first before resolving in Nexus.
>
> I don't think maven's proxy setting inside the settings.xml file are being
> read correctly for Novel Border Manager.  Does anyone how to debug the
> proxy settings for maven?  BTW, I have made sure these settings are not
> commented out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tonté
>

> From:
> Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>
> To:
> Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
> Date:
> 02/03/2010 11:19 AM
> Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?
>

> > Thanks for your reply.  We are using Sonatype Nexus for our company
> maven
> > repo and we are actually using Novell Border Manager for our proxy
> server.
> >  I wonder if maven is not sending the correct credential properties to
> > Novell Border Manager?
>
> Aren't your proxying requests through Nexus to the outside world? So
> you should only need to worry about how Nexus is getting out (past
> Novell Border Manager), not Maven itself, right?
>
> Wayne

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
Yes that is correct.  However, to simply the problem I configured my
settings.xml file to not use my Nexus profiles and configured maven
central repo manually in the settings.xml file.  So currently my
configuration does not rely on Nexus.  I prefer, but not locked into,
resolving this issue base on Maven first before resolving in Nexus.

I don't think maven's proxy setting inside the settings.xml file are being
read correctly for Novel Border Manager.  Does anyone how to debug the
proxy settings for maven?  BTW, I have made sure these settings are not
commented out.

Thanks!

Tonté

From:
Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
02/03/2010 11:19 AM

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Thanks for your reply.  We are using Sonatype Nexus for our company maven
> repo and we are actually using Novell Border Manager for our proxy server.
>  I wonder if maven is not sending the correct credential properties to
> Novell Border Manager?

Aren't your proxying requests through Nexus to the outside world? So
you should only need to worry about how Nexus is getting out (past
Novell Border Manager), not Maven itself, right?

Wayne

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
Hey I have tried that.  The proxy configuration is set through the server
tap.  Since then, I have tried to simply the problem by removing Nexus out
of the picture.  So right now I am currently just working with Maven
configuration only.

From:
Manuel Grau <ma...@gmail.com>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
Date:
02/03/2010 11:20 AM
Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

I guess sonatype Nexus is the same that Jfrog Artifactory. One question,
are
you using it as maven proxy? that is, does maven ask for artifacts
throught
Nexus? If the answeb is affirmative, then, setup http proxy in Nexus.

2010/2/3 <To...@aviall.com>

> Manuel,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  We are using Sonatype Nexus for our company
maven
> repo and we are actually using Novell Border Manager for our proxy
server.
>  I wonder if maven is not sending the correct credential properties to
> Novell Border Manager?
>
> Thanks agian!
>
> Tonté
>

> From:
> Manuel Grau <ma...@gmail.com>
> To:
> Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
> Cc:
> bguillory@aviall.com
> Date:
> 02/03/2010 10:24 AM
> Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?
>

> I don't know anything about Novell Proxy Server, but I can tell you whar
> we're doing. We have to attach the domain in username:
>
> <username>domain\username</username>
>
> But, in our case, we don't have proxy setup in our setting.xml because
> we're
> using Artifactory <http://www.jfrog.org/products.php>, a great maven
> proxy.
> In this maven proxy, we have setup the http proxy using it's great web
> interface. I recommend you to use it, is great and opensource.
>
> Best regards.
>
> 2010/2/3 <To...@aviall.com>
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My company is using Novell Proxy Server.  I am using maven-2.2..1.  I
> have
> > set up my configuration based on the documentation described here:
> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html
> >
> > When I try to down load plugins from the Maven Central Repo, I get
> > redirected to my companies Novell Proxy Server authentication web
page;
> > where an actual user is required to enter their (eDirectory/LDAP)
> > credentials and click the submit button to be authenticated through
the
> > proxy and then forward to the destination URL.
> >
> > I don't understand why Maven is not sending the proxy information I
> > defined in my setting.xml file.
> >
> > Can anyone help me resolve this issue.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Tonté
> >
> > _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_
> _
> > _
> >
> > This e-mail message, including attachments, may contain confidential,
> > proprietary, or export controlled information.
> > Any unauthorized disclosure, distribution, or other use is prohibited,
> > unless expressly authorized.
> > If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, and
> delete
> > all copies of the original message from your systems.
>

> --
> "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"
Albert

Posted by Manuel Grau <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" Albert
Einstein

Re: Need help configuring maven to get through company Proxy?

Posted by To...@aviall.com.
Manuel,

Thanks for your reply.  We are using Sonatype Nexus for our company maven
repo and we are actually using Novell Border Manager for our proxy server.
 I wonder if maven is not sending the correct credential properties to
Novell Border Manager?

Thanks agian!

Tonté

From: