Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/02/01 00:09:46 UTC

Re: More Information on producers...

> Martin Lilienthal wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> where can I find more information on producers and specially producers
> to process the output of servlets/jsp?
>
> (I`ve read thru the docs, but I haven`t found much...)

Read the FAQ again. It's there: you _don't_ process the output of a
servlet/JSP!!!

> Another question:
>
> Is it really the best way to use producers to transform the XML-output
> of servlets/jsp to HTML? ..or are there other (perhaps better) ways to
> do that?

There are no good ways of postprocess the output of a servlet. Period.

You put your logic inside a processor, or, if you really don't have
access to the servlet code, you write an URLProducer that parses a URL
instead of a file.

Don't worry, I understand your concerns and I'm the proponent of a
filtering model for the Servlet API 2.3 that we should be discussing
shortly at Sun.

Until then, Cocoon will not support servlet chaining of any kind nor
will encouradge such a thing.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.