Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com> on 2006/11/06 19:30:11 UTC

User name blank for Tortoise SVN users

When I commit things using Tortoise, the user/author name is always blank.
This confuses the hell out of some of the other tools I use.

Is there a standard way of specifying the user name in Windows, which will
work for all SVN clients?

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
http://www.trumphurst.com/

Re: User name blank for Tortoise SVN users

Posted by Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> > > Right, but the server wont care about them unless it [the server] requires them.
> >
> > That's simply not true. If I commit something in Unix, and then view the log, the
> > unis user name is shown as the author. If I do the same thing in Tortoise, no user
> > name is shown. In neither case do I have to enter a user name and password while
> > interacting with the repository, nor do I want to.
>
> That's most likely because you're committing over a file:// url, which
> just records the current username of the committing user as the author
> of the commit.  If you're actually using a server (i.e. committing
> over http(s):// or svn://) then it requires authorization to be turned
> on before the server will even have a username to record.  If
> anonymous writes are configured it will just leave the author blank.

Humble apologies - I was looking at logs which contained user names, and assuming
everything was working as I expected under Linux. However, those logs dated back to the
conversion from CVS, which must have copied the user name info across. More recent, SVN
commits do not show a user name, even if the commit was performed under Linux.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 11/8/06, Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com> wrote:
> Matt Sickler wrote:
> > > Yes, I allow access without a username. Doesn't prevent the Linux client from
> > > supplying one, though.
> >
> > Right, but the server wont care about them unless it [the server] requires them.
>
> That's simply not true. If I commit something in Unix, and then view the log, the
> unis user name is shown as the author. If I do the same thing in Tortoise, no user
> name is shown. In neither case do I have to enter a user name and password while
> interacting with the repository, nor do I want to.

That's most likely because you're committing over a file:// url, which
just records the current username of the committing user as the author
of the commit.  If you're actually using a server (i.e. committing
over http(s):// or svn://) then it requires authorization to be turned
on before the server will even have a username to record.  If
anonymous writes are configured it will just leave the author blank.

-garrett

Re: User name blank for Tortoise SVN users

Posted by Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>.

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "A. Alfred Ayache" <al...@lastbyte.ca>.
Hi Nikki:

I just setup svn and Tsvn.  (thanks to everyone who helped)  If you're using svn
through Tsvn (TortoiseSVN) impose a userid/pw in your svnserve.conf file.  Tsvn
will prompt you for userid and pw, with a checkbox for keeping the
authentication info.  Make sure you check that.  It'll save the info in
%APPDATA%\Subversion\auth\svn.simple.

If you need to enter a different user, delete the file in that directory, and
it'll prompt you again for userid/pw.

The point is, using Tsvn, it'll only challenge you once for the userid/pw.

HTH,

A. Alfred Ayache
http://lphs76.ca             - Reunion community
http://www.rentersPlus.com   - Apartment Search
http://www.lastbyte.ca       - Web Design, eCommerce, PHP/MySQL, Java, Oracle

RE: Re: User name blank for Tortoise SVN users

Posted by Andrew Holden <ah...@charteroaksystems.com>.
Nikki Locke wrote:

> Erik Hemdal wrote:

> > I don't claim to know how the internals of SVN work, but when I
> > configured svnserve to only allow authorized users
> > to access the repositories, Tortoise would always prompt for
username
> > and password.  So I'm wondering if your svnserve.conf
> > file is allowing access without a username.  It seems to me that if
your
> > repository doesn't demand authentication, Tortoise won't ask for it,
and
> > then Tortoise won't have it on hand for commit records.

> Yes, I allow access without a username. Doesn't prevent the Linux
client
> from supplying one, though.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any authentication options in
TortoiseSVN.  From what I can tell, it will attempt to authenticate in
the following order, and only the following order:

1: No authentication.

2: Use SSPI with your Windows login name and password (version 1.4 with
an Apache server and mod_auth_sspi only).

3: Prompt for username and password.  If I read the docs right, it will
not cache your credentials, which could seriously annoy your users.

Re: User name blank for Tortoise SVN users

Posted by Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>.

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.

> Norbert Unterberg wrote:
> > 2006/11/6, Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>:
> >
> > > When I commit things using Tortoise, the user/author name
> is always
> > > blank.
> >
> > user/author name is supported by windows and tortoise. If you get
> > blank user names, then you have a server configuration problem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> But where does Tortoise get the user name?
>
> From my Windows login, from the environment, or from the
> configuration files?

You can get it from the passwd file pointed at by your svnserve.conf file in
the repository, as far as I know.  I did not try to set up any of the
fancier access methods.

I don't claim to know how the internals of SVN work, but when I configured
svnserve to only allow authorized users
to access the repositories, Tortoise would always prompt for username and
password.  So I'm wondering if your svnserve.conf
file is allowing access without a username.  It seems to me that if your
repository doesn't demand authentication, Tortoise won't ask for it, and
then Tortoise won't have it on hand for commit records.

Erik

Re: User name blank for Tortoise SVN users

Posted by Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>.

Posted by Norbert Unterberg <nu...@gmail.com>.
2006/11/6, Nikki Locke <in...@trumphurst.com>:

> When I commit things using Tortoise, the user/author name is always blank.

user/author name is supported by windows and tortoise. If you get
blank user names, then you have a server configuration problem.

Norbert