Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ganesan M <ga...@unixlover.com> on 2002/06/25 16:09:35 UTC

Is mod_perl the right solution for my GUI dev?

Hello list,

    Please pardon me if it is not related to the list.

  We have a C application which runs on both SCO open server
and Red Hat Linux with Oracle/Informix database. It is a text
based application originally developed for CRDS box with UNOS.

  Now management needs a GUI for the text application.    I have
developed some report screens using Apache/Mod_perl/GD.
They kind of liked it.  Now they want to do a full fledged GUI.

 My suggestions are:

    1. Get rid  of screen driver codes from the existing C programs
    2. Use "Inline C" in the mod_perl programs and run it through apache
webserver as a web page.

But, some of my colleagues are suggesting to write a Java/VC++
Interface for the GUI.

  Any suggestions on this will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Ganesh.

Re: Is mod_perl the right solution for my GUI dev?

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 16:09 25.06.2002, Ganesan M wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>     Please pardon me if it is not related to the list.
>
>   We have a C application which runs on both SCO open server
>and Red Hat Linux with Oracle/Informix database. It is a text
>based application originally developed for CRDS box with UNOS.
>
>   Now management needs a GUI for the text application.    I have
>developed some report screens using Apache/Mod_perl/GD.
>They kind of liked it.  Now they want to do a full fledged GUI.
>
>  My suggestions are:
>
>     1. Get rid  of screen driver codes from the existing C programs
>     2. Use "Inline C" in the mod_perl programs and run it through apache
>webserver as a web page.
>
>But, some of my colleagues are suggesting to write a Java/VC++
>Interface for the GUI.

The problem you're looking at is rather different: should you try and
create a *web frontend* or should you create a normal GUI? Largely
depending on the nature of your application, the answers will be different.

I can't say much more without knowing more about what you're trying to do:
but to me it seems like if you need GD to do the job, you should probably
be looking at a standard GUI instead. This needn't be done in Java or VC++,
you could use any programming language with a windowing library, like Perl
with Tk (or Gtk or Qt bindings, but I don't know much about any of those)
or anything else.

My answer: it depends :)

--
Per Einar Ellefsen