Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Tamas Penzes <ta...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/06 19:29:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove ant build from master branch

Hi All,

Maven migration is almost done on all the three active branches (master,
3.5, 3.4).
For backward compatibility I would suggest to keep ant build on branch 3.4
and 3.5 but remove it from master branch (versions 3.6+).
We might add a message to 3.5 ant build that it is deprecated, but it
should still work.
This way we could be sure that users can still build and run their
ZooKeeper instance but could spare the ant build from future versions.
Less to maintain, less to test.

Do you agree?

Regards, Tamaas

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove ant build from master branch

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Good question. On one hand, it would be kind of strange to see ant
disappear in a minor release, so keeping ant on 3.4 and 3.5 makes sense.
On the other hand, it is always very prone to errors having to maintain 2
parallel things while making sure both works, and as Enrico mentioned,
produces the same(ish) results.
And if we do not want to drop ant, it will be harder to implement some
maven features, or rather it would be much more work to do so, knowing you
have to make sure it works in ant too.

I definitely agree on dropping ant on 3.6, and while it would be good to
drop it on 3.5 and 3.4, I don't think either that we can do that.

So I agree with you Tamas (and also with Enrico, that it will be a pain to
maintain the two build parallel, but dropping ant is a huge backward
compatibility break).

Regards,
Norbert

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove ant build from master branch

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno mer 6 feb 2019, 20:30 Tamas Penzes <ta...@cloudera.com.invalid>
ha scritto:

> Hi All,
>
> Maven migration is almost done on all the three active branches (master,
> 3.5, 3.4).
> For backward compatibility I would suggest to keep ant build on branch 3.4
> and 3.5 but remove it from master branch (versions 3.6+).
> We might add a message to 3.5 ant build that it is deprecated, but it
> should still work.
> This way we could be sure that users can still build and run their
> ZooKeeper instance but could spare the ant build from future versions.
> Less to maintain, less to test.
>
> Do you agree?

I think we can perform the last release for 3.5 and 3.4 (thanks Andor!)
then it will be better to drop ant at all.

It is very tricky to guarantee that the build produces the same results
forvboth of the build systems.

As 3.4 and 3.5 will be around for quite some time I think it is better to
have the same system for each of them.

Just my 2 cents

Enrico