Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Udo Schnurpfeil <lo...@apache.org> on 2019/04/09 12:35:55 UTC

Browser-Support for Tobago 5

Hi folks,

Tobago 5 is now under development and the plan is to refactor all the
JavaScript code to TypeScript. With this, we want to clean up code and
throw old workarounds away.

The basic idea is to write TypeScript and generate a compatible
JavaScript for all supported browsers. But it turns out, that it's a bit
easier to implement and much easier to make "clean" code and project
setup, when we require ECMAScript6. ES6 is widely supported by all
current browsers, but not by the Internet Explorer 11 (is still
supported by Microsoft and used in some enterprise environment).

The release date of Tobago 5 seems to be later this year.

As a solution, I would prefer to remove IE11 support for Tobago 5 and
support Tobago 4 a longer time (with bugfixes and backports).

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Udo

Re: Browser-Support for Tobago 5

Posted by Udo Schnurpfeil <ud...@irian.eu>.
Hi Marko,

thanks for your suggestion. Actually we use Babel for Tobago (current
master development), but for me Babeldoes not keep what it promises.
There are some language features in TypeScript/ES6 than can't be
translated to ES5. So, we have to decide to program in a "modern and
clean" way, or doing workarounds all the day...

Regards,

Udo

--
Dipl.-Math. Udo Schnurpfeil - Managing Director
IRIAN Deutschland GmbH - Koppelstr. 4a - 26135 Oldenburg - Germany

AW: Browser-Support for Tobago 5

Posted by Voß, Marko <ma...@cgi.com>.
Hello,