Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/16 05:19:16 UTC

OpenOffice.org user forums and the iCLA

Hello. I'm a member of the English and Spanish user forums at
http://user.services.openoffice.org/. We are discussing transferring all of
the forums to an Apache server and operating as an aspect of the Apache
OpenOffice.org podling. I have a question about the effect of the Individual
Contributor Legal Agreement (iCLA) on forum users.

I understand that some members of the forums, Admins with access to the
underlying forum software and Moderators who can move or delete posts and
ban users, must sign the iCLA and become official members of the podling.
Since many members of the non-English forums cannot understand the iCLA,
there is an understandable reluctance to sign a legal agreement. It is also
not understood what the iCLA does with respect to forum users that the Terms
of Use of the forum does not.

Question: Would the iCLA cover submissions to a user support forum that is
associated with an Apache podling (or project) or would the submissions only
be governed by the Terms of Use of the forum?

Some background on forum content

The forums contain:

   1.

   Questions posted by users and associated answers provided by other users.
   2.

   Tutorials written by users covering how to use either OpenOffice.org or
   the forum itself.
   3.

   Macro code for automating OpenOffice.org tasks.
   4.

   A small number of posts concern forum operation (e. g. software upgrades)
   and governance (e. g. questionable user behavior).

None of the forum content is intended to be part of the code or
documentation distributed as OpenOffice.org.. Whether a tutorial posted on
an Apache affiliated user forum is "Documentation" in the sense intended by
the iCLA is the sort of question that has forum volunteers confused.

A large fraction of the forum content is submitted by OpenOffice.org users
who post one or two questions and move on.

In case you care to see the Terms of Use of the forums, they can be found
through a link at the bottom of any forum page

Re: OpenOffice.org user forums and the iCLA

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> I am an Apache committer.
>
> I have a registration on the current OO.o Forums.
>
> That registration has no connection to my confirmable identity here as an Apache committer.
>
> When I post on the forum, I expect that post to be under the current terms of use.

Think of it this way:

When you post on an Apache mailing list, your ID there has no
relationship to your Apache ID.

When you attach a patch to a Bugzilla issue, your Bugzilla ID is
unrelated to your Apache ID.

But in both cases, your contributions are under the iCLA.  And in both
cases, normal practice would be for us to not take a non-trivial
contribution from a user without first getting them to sign the iCLA.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Let me come at this another way.

Apache does not presently require an iCLA for contributions on mailing lists or wikis that allows public registration and submissions.  That includes Issue trackers too.

I personally see no basis in Apache practices for forum contributions to be treated any differently.

That's it.

 - Dennis

DETAILS

If a contribution is to an Apache release deliverable, and it is substantial enough to be considered a copyrightable work, then an iCLA is required.  That does not apply to general contributions on user lists, other public mailing lists, or public wikis.  It is not necessary to have signed an iCLA to open and submit an issue on an Apache issue tracker.  (A substantial contribution to a release deliverable via an issue report or an e-mail list would raise the iCLA question before it could be accepted.)

As you mention, the iCLA is being discussed with regard to moderators and administrators of forums.  This is because of governance and oversight requirements.  How the iCLA is involved in that is a little tricky.  Here is my personal short answer:

 An iCLA is required for a substantial contribution (as I described).
 Committers are individuals who have made such significant contribution and show the commitment that merits being appointed to committer.  A committer can make substantial contributions directly without having to make them via another committer.  A committer must have filed an iCLA.
 The Apache OOo PPPMC (Podling Project Management Committee) consists of *committers* who have oversight responsibility for the project.  So that the oversight requirements of the Foundation are satisfied, it is expected that some number of the moderators and administrators may need to be members of the PPMC.  That is how the iCLA ties to governance.

 - Dennis