Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/01/17 02:53:58 UTC

Re: Tomcat tests using ant instead of moo

Costin wrote:

> I'm almost done with moving all tomcat product tests
> to use a ant-like
>
> <test host="localhost" port="8080" testClass="a.b.c" />

+1 !!!

> That means we no longer depend on moo - so we can just
> move moo in jakarta-watchdog, and get rid of all
> ../jakarta-tools stuff ( the only thing we still use
> is xml.jar and javac.jar - which can be checked-in tomcat
> without problems  ).

+1 on anything that moves us towards resolving the disposition of what
remains of jakarta-tools.  I can't help but wonder, however, if watchdog
should be converted to use what you are coming up with.

My preference is to use the ant.jar and xml.jar from jakarta-ant.  If
people would prefer jakarta-tomcat to be self contained, then add ant.jar
to the list.

I never have cared for javac.jar - compilers are supposed to be pluggable
right?  Most of the time I find mine from classes.zip.  Others use jikes.

Re: Tomcat tests using ant instead of moo

Posted by co...@costin.dnt.ro.
> +1 on anything that moves us towards resolving the disposition of what
> remains of jakarta-tools.  I can't help but wonder, however, if watchdog
> should be converted to use what you are coming up with.

Not me, thank you very much!
Let's first take a look, I'm not sure it's the best way to do it.

> My preference is to use the ant.jar and xml.jar from jakarta-ant.  If
> people would prefer jakarta-tomcat to be self contained, then add ant.jar
> to the list.

Well, I would like that but I don't think it's a good ideea.
Tomcat doesn't depend on ant - but depends on xml.jar.
Someone can create makefiles or whatever and build tomcat,
so ant.jar is not _required_.

I would like to have ant included in the resulted distribution
( the current ant.sh defines a property==ANT_HOME, so
it should be easy to copy ant.sh to tomcat/bin and ant.jar
to tomcat/lib )

> So, -0 on javac.jar, as long as it doesn't interfere with my wishes (i.e.,
> $CLASSPATH is concatenated first), and is checked into the same place(s) as
> xml.jar.

+1 - tomcat should work with what it is in jakarta-tomcat, no need
to include external packages.

Costin