Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Fred Bloggs <nm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/03 14:34:50 UTC

2 problems with and whilst including results of action in page and behind firewall with NAT.

Dear All,

I'm relatively new to Struts and have come across two
problems that have completely confused me.

I am using Struts 1.1, Tomcat 4.1.27.

Problem 1:

I have an action that produces the most recent �news�
and displays it on separate page.  However I want to
include those news as well on some of my other pages.
I use the template tags to get and put the various
pages together (I haven't tried Tiles yet, I want to
keep it simple).

So my topical.jsp contains a table with the following
row:

                <bean:include id="GetMostRecentNews"
page="/getmostrecentnews.do"/>
                <bean:write name="GetMostRecentNews"
filter="false"/>

All my pages use the UTF-8  charset thus I use the
following at the start of every jsp page:

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"
prefix="bean"%>
... plus other taglib definitions.

When I invoke the /getmostrecentnews.do directly using
a browser, everything is diasplayed correctly.  The
correct charset is used.

Now when I do the <bean:include and <bean:write (as
shown above), the page is included in the main page,
but the charset is incorrect and thus some characters
are incorrectly displayed.

I do not use the locale setting since the content and
thus charset is locale independent.

I use templates to do my header, footer, sidebar etc.
The above table is in the main �content� of my
template.

I tried changing my template to have another �news�
section and did a put (with a matching get) as
follows:

<template:put name='news'
content='/getmostrecentnews.do' />

I get a �javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot
forward after response has been committed�.

I also tried using <jsp:include as suggested on �The
Struts User Guide�
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/building_view.html,
but I just get an exception
�javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot forward after
response has been committed�.

I have not yet ported my application to Tiles so I
don't know if using Tiles instead of Templates will
solve my problem.

I would be grateful for any pointers.

Problem 2:

My site is behind a firewall that does NAT.  The site
works, except for the jsp pages where I do:

                <bean:include id="GetMostRecentNews"
page="/getmostrecentnews.do"/>
                <bean:write name="GetMostRecentNews"
filter="false"/>

It appears that the <bean:include changes the
/getmostrecentnews.do to an absolute URL.  However,
since I am behind a NAT firewall (doing port
forwarding) I get an exception saying that �Exception
opening resource� since the absolute URL contains the
external IP and not the NATed IP address of the tomcat
server.

I tried <html:base/> in all the jsp pages, but that
does not seem to help.

Is there anyway to tell the <bean:include not to use
an absolute address but a relative address to the
application or context?

I would be grateful for any help or pointers.

Thank you in advance.

Re: 2 problems with and whilst including results of action in page and behind firewall with NAT.

Posted by Fred Bloggs <nm...@yahoo.com>.
Kris

I am not using any <logic:forward> tags anywhere.  The
only logic tags I use are <logic:messagesPresent>.

As for the side note: I was thinking of moving to
Tiles very soon but I did not want confuse myself
further by introducing additional changes.  I.e. I
have not used Tiles before.
(I am currently reading Chap 11 (Developing with
Tiles) of Ted Husted's book.  In section 11.1.1 he
mentions "A dynamic include folds the output of the
included page into the original page." he is talking
about <jsp:include in the introduction to Tiles
before talking about Tiles properly.)

Do you think the problem is due to the fact the I am
using templates?

Fred

=== message truncated ===

Re: 2 problems with and whilst including results of action in page and behind firewall with NAT.

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.

Posted by Fred Bloggs <nm...@yahoo.com>.
Kris

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
#2 first. Try using <bean:include forward="..."/> instead. You'll have to add a