Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Vijayakumar G <gm...@hotmail.com> on 2003/03/30 15:40:42 UTC

Regarding redirect limit

Hi

I am using httpclient 2.0 alpha 3. After sometime using httpclient to access
my webserver pages I am getting an error "Maximum redirects (100) exceeded"
but my webserver got so many redirected pages, so how to handle this
situation or is there any other way to increase the limit.

Thanks in advance
Vijay.

War on Iraq. See latest update.
http://server1.msn.co.in/completecoverage/bushvssaddam/ News, views and more

Re: Regarding redirect limit

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
I believe this could happen for two reasons:

1) there is a loop in redirects
2) you are authorizing using credentials that fail

It would be strange that a single request would get redirected more
than 100 times intentionally so I am guessing that it might be the
authorization failing.

What is the status code that you get back after the method fails?

If you turn on debugging you should be able to determine what is going
on.  Take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html for
instructions for enabling the log.

The value for MAX_FORWARDS is statically defined in HttpMethodBase.  To
change this you would need to modify the code and recompile.  This
value should really be configurable but we have not really had a
practical reason to make it so.

Please post some more information about what you are seeing and we
should be able to get this figured out.

Mike