Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/12/13 22:20:10 UTC

Trouble with svn update for website. vn: E155004: Working copy '/x1/www/db.apache.org/derby' locked

*Finally* I am working on posting the 10.8.3 release to the website.
I am encountering an error on poeple.apache.org doing svn update from
/www/db.apache.org/derby

The error I get is below. Has the procedure for updating the website
changed?
Is the /x1/ expected?

Thanks

Kathey

kmarsden@minotaur:/www/db.apache.org/derby/releases$ cd ..
kmarsden@minotaur:/www/db.apache.org/derby$ svn update
svn: E155004: Working copy '/x1/www/db.apache.org/derby' locked
svn: E200031: attempt to write a readonly database
svn: E200031: attempt to write a readonly database
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for details)

kmarsden@minotaur:/www/db.apache.org/derby$ svn info .
Repository Root: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
Revision: 1370388
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: rhillegas
Last Changed Rev: 1370383
Last Changed Date: 2012-08-07 17:41:00 +0000 (Tue, 07 Aug 2012)

kmarsden@minotaur:/www/db.apache.org/derby$

Re: 10.8.3 publication (was Re: Trouble with svn update for website. vn: E155004: Working copy '/x1/www/db.apache.org/derby' locked)

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 12/26/12 4:40 PM, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> On 12/14/2012 8:31 AM, Katherine Marsden wrote:
>> On 12/14/2012 6:27 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>> Hi Kathey,
>>>
>>> The following web page suggests that the solution may be for me to
>>> give group access to some piece of the website which I touched
>>> earlier this year:
>>> http://h3x.no/2010/12/04/svn-gives-attempt-to-write-a-readonly-database-error
>>> I will look into this after the dust settles on the website migration.
>>
>> Thanks Rick.  I will hold off on any more work on publishing the
>> release until I get the all clear from you. I  will be away from
>> email until Dec 26.  Have a great holiday everyone.
>>
> I am back.
>
> Is it safe to pick up with the 10.8.3 release publication now?  Have
> the check ins that I made so far persisted?
> I looked at the comments in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6007  and am not sure if
> this affects the release publication procedure.  Any tips would be
> welcome.
Hi Kathey,

I am on vacation right now. When I get back, I intend to update the
instructions for publishing a release:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleasePublication.

The instructions for publishing the released docs have changed.
Previously, we did the following:

1) Ran "ant repackagedocs" in order to create a zipfile of docs.

2) Unzipped that zipfile into a directory on people.apache.org.

For the moment, you'll still need to do step (1). Then you'll need to do
the following:

2a') Unzip the zipfile into your Derby website client at
build/site/docs/10.8. This will overwrite the current 10.8 docs with the
new 10.8.3 version.

2b') Then commit build/site/docs. You may also need to commit the top
directory of your website client. Shouldn't hurt if you do so even if
it's not necessary.

In addition, svnpubsub has changed the instructions for adding a
download page to the website. Under the old scheme, after checking in
the new download page, you would have to do the following:

3) Log onto people.apache.org, go to /www/db.apache.org/derby, and do
"ant update".

You shouldn't have to do that now.

The svnpubsub machinery should pick up your commits to the docs subtree
and to the main website. In an hour or so you should verify that the
revised 10.8 docs and the new download page have turned up on the Derby
website. Please tell us if you encounter speedbumps. This will be a good
test of whether svnpubsub is working for us.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.