Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/16 15:56:31 UTC

Re: time zones

On 7/5/05, Henry Story <he...@bblfish.net> wrote:

> I have made a few changes that work for me at present to deal with
> the problem of Time Zones in
> xmlrpc. As I don't know this library inside out, you may consider the
> changes to be a little
> patchy, but then this is the aPatchy project, so...

I understand, that your patch does *not* change the output format? If
so, I'd accept it for the 2.0 branch and the HEAD.

Jochen

--
Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the
boat. (Mark Twain)

Re: time zones

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Henry Story wrote:

> Correct. It should just allow you to specify what time zone the dates  are
> in and so when serialising to xml give the serialisation for that  time
> zone.
> I have found this very useful in BlogEd. In fact BlogEd would not  work
> without
> it. The Roller server on the other side also uses this library I  think.
> They
> don't have the patch and don't notice any problem.

I'd clearly prefer to implement proper iso8601 handling, but
unfortunately the author of the xml rpc spec seems to be believe in
intelligent design rather than in evolution. ;-) So we are stuck with
what we have and your approach seems like the most recommendable option.

> I am sure some refactoring could be done on it, so that it fits in
> better with your architectural goals.

See the b20050512_streaming branch for that part.

Jochen

Re: time zones

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Henry Story wrote:

>> If so, I'd accept it for the 2.0 branch and the HEAD.

Forgot something. Could you please be so kind and extend your patch with
a unit test that verifies its correctness?

Thanks,

Jochen

Re: time zones

Posted by Henry Story <he...@bblfish.net>.
On 16 Sep 2005, at 15:56, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 7/5/05, Henry Story <he...@bblfish.net> wrote:
>
>> I have made a few changes that work for me at present to deal with
>> the problem of Time Zones in
>> xmlrpc. As I don't know this library inside out, you may consider the
>> changes to be a little
>> patchy, but then this is the aPatchy project, so...
>>

> I understand, that your patch does *not* change the output format?

Correct. It should just allow you to specify what time zone the dates
are
in and so when serialising to xml give the serialisation for that
time zone.
I have found this very useful in BlogEd. In fact BlogEd would not
work without
it. The Roller server on the other side also uses this library I
think. They
don't have the patch and don't notice any problem.

> If so, I'd accept it for the 2.0 branch and the HEAD.

Thanks :-)

I am sure some refactoring could be done on it, so that it fits in
better with your architectural goals.

Henry