Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2007/11/28 18:43:57 UTC

DERBY-3083 concerns (was Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release)

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Please test and vote on the 10.3.2.0 release candidate available at:
>
> I'm still thinking about the change made to 10.3 for DERBY-3083.
>
> In 10.2 bringing up the server in all cases did not install a security
> manager.
>
> In 10.3.1.4:
>    - server did not start if the derby jars were re-named and no
> security manager was already installed. While this is a regression
> from 10.2 it was secure.
>
> In 10.3.2.0
>    - if the derby jars are renamed then no security manager is
> installed. This is a regression security wise from 10.3.1.4 but does
> fix a functional regression from 10.3.1.4.
>
> One real concern is that this new behaviour is 10.3.2.0 is not
> documented anywhere, it contradicts the existing documentation, thus a
> user will assume a security manager has been installed. There's also
> no information printed to any error log that no security manager exists.

Thanks Dan for bringing this up before I created the new candidate #:).
It looks like options are:
1) Back out DERBY-3083
2) log a message to the derby.log that no security manager exists,
update the documentation. and create a releaseNote for DERBY-3083.
3) Come to consensus on a better solution.

I'd like to get a new release candidate out Friday at the latest, as I
am going to be out on vacation starting December 17.  Thoughts on the
best way to move forward on this?

Kathey

Re: DERBY-3083 concerns (was Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release)

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

Given the time constraint I would be ok with backing out
the DERBY-3083 fix for this bug fix release and let it get
resolved in the next bug fix release.

/mikem