Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/28 01:04:07 UTC

Apache Directory Frontpage Description Discussion

Hey Guys,

I started looking at the front page description a little.

Here's the current one:

Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
where other Internet services snap in to store their data within the
directory so they may be managed using LDAP. Its architecture is
designed so services other than LDAP such DNS, DHCP, SLP, Kerberos, and
UDDI can be implemented and snapped in. These services will use a common
networking layer (MINA) and each can be toggled on and off according to
the needs of the environment.

Here are some thoughts:

Our primary vision is to build....
I think it's built...right...I'm thinking that when someone
sees this they wonder...well how mature is this thing?

....build an enterprise directory server platform where other Internet
services snap in to store their data within the directory so they may be
managed using LDAP
Hmmmm, so does LDAP do all the CRUD stuff, and other
protocols/services piggy back on top of LDAP for their CRUD
services or can they access the storage container
directly without using LDAP?

Also, seems like the project is rapidly outgrowing this...
There's LS, etc. which I think should be reflected in the picture.

Its architecture is designed so services other than LDAP such DNS, DHCP,
SLP, Kerberos, and UDDI can be implemented and snapped in.
This seems to partially repeat the previous statement.  Brevity
and simplicity is key in getting the message across on the front
page description, which hopefully results in more talent being
brought down on the code.

It also makes me wonder what implementations are there by default?

these services will use a common networking layer (MINA) and each can be
toggled on and off according to the needs of the environment.
I think we have to put a bigger spotlight
on it.  MINA is smoookkkkin right?  Footprint
minimization by turning off stuff is coolll right?

Although this still says "...will use" which makes
it sound a little like the project is just starting...

Here's a suggestion for a description revision (This needs
a lot of work - I'm trying to zoom in on what Apache Directory
is right now as accurately and simply possible - In other
words this part and here is the point of this part
here's the point of the part as simply and briefly as possible):

The Apache Directory consists of:
- A container for protocols like LDAP, UDDI, DNS, DHCP, etc.
- A set of default protocol implementations
- A container supporting different data storage implementations.
- A set of data storage implementations.
- An embeddable server for configuring container services and
   and service implementations, as well as turning them
   on or off.  LDAP is the only protocol implementation
   on by default, minimizing the servers footprint.
- Server Embedding API
- A high performance networking layer (MINA)
- Developer Tooling (Ldap Studio)
- Security stuff....(Triplesec)
- Multi Master Replication stuff
- Other stuff....In case I missed something...

Note that this does away with the term "Internet" in the description.

Also "...snapped in" is gone.  Sorry - had to be put down.  It's still
on the main page though, so you can say hello whenever.

I'm also planning to get a summary diagram going for this stuff,
that I was hoping would get put below the description, if we think
it's appropriate.  Sort of depends on the diagram right :-)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: Apache Directory Frontpage Description Discussion

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
I perfectly agree with Stefan vision.

I also think we should hurry up if we want to have a good site for
LDAPcon EU if we are to attend this conference.

As a recall, papers submission deadline is june, 15th ... Clock is ticking ...

Emmaanuel

On 5/28/07, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:
> Christine Koppelt wrote:
> > i agree with you, that the current version of this description isn't
> > optimal. I think we just copied it from a previous version. Feel free
> > to write a new text and add it to the site. Not sure if a diagram
> > makes sense at this place, this could make the site a bit unclear.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Christine
>
> This is not exactly correct. We took the mission statement from the old
> page, but it has been reviewed/modified by the PMC before we have added
>   it to the site in February 2007. I remember that we had a discussion
> about whether it still holds true, and in the end we agreed.
>
> I would prefer not to simply create a new stetment and directly put it
> on the live site, but to create a proposal, and discuss it. A wiki page
> in the sandbox would be a good place for that, because we can add
> comments there, change it etc. No single developer should be able to
> modify the mission statement without consent.
>
> I agree with the both of you, that the current version needs a
> refreshment. A picture as an architectural overview for ApacheDS would
> be nice, I like this one btw.
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/11-what-apache-directory-server-is.data/50k-ft-architecture.png
> but it is also a little bit outdated according to some developers.
>
> Greetings,
>     Stefan

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Apache Directory Frontpage Description Discussion

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christine,

OK - Cool - I'll keep working on the
summary.  Guys please let me
know if you have any preferences
on the wording, etc.

As far as the diagram, I'll just
whip one up after the
drawing is complete, and we
can see if we want to put it somewhere.
Personally I think a diagram that doubles
as an image map, with text pop ups
(AJAX / Dojo Drawn / So independent of browser disabling)
shown on mouse over events.
I'll play with it a little
and we can evaluate it as
we are going along.

Cheers,
- Ole

SNIP

Re: Apache Directory Frontpage Description Discussion

Posted by Christine Koppelt <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ole,