Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ståle Undheim <st...@coretrek.com> on 2006/09/15 10:48:49 UTC

From multiple source folders pr. project to one

I am currently looking into converting our projects that are now using
ant and alot of custom ant scripts, into using maven. I also wish to use
mavens default layouts rather than our old one.

Our old projects might look like this:

src/part1
src/part2
src/part3
src/part4

part1 might then have no dependencies, part2 and part3 depends on part1,
and part4 depends on all the other src folders. Turning this into maven
projects, I assume the correct way of doing it is to have 1 project for
each part, each project being of type jar (as 1 source folder gets
turned into 1 jar).

How do I define dependencies here? Do I need to make a super project
that includes the others? That, to me at least, would not fix the inter
dependencies of the source folders. If I use the <modules> tag in any of
part2, part3 or part4 projects, I need to change the project type to pom.

Alternativly I will need to build by installing part1, then part2 and so
on in order, and depending on the jar themselves. But as I would like to
release my project in 1 tar.gz with 4 jars, this seems like its not
doable to me.

I would also like to turn part1-4 into 4 projects in eclipse (since
eclipse doesnt have sub-projects), with their dependencies set. But I
dont think this should be a problem with the eclipse plugin in maven.
--
Ståle Undheim
Systemutvikler

CoreTrek