Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Forsyth <sp...@co.riverside.ca.us> on 2004/09/28 18:48:50 UTC

[users@httpd] Major slow down for web apps on Apache 2 (somewhere in high speed connection between depts)

Hi All,

I'm a developer, not a network guy... so please forgive me if I don't make any since :)

We have an Apache 2.x server running with Tomcat 4.1.x and it is running just fine wtihin our dept and it runs fast from other remote depts... these depts are all hooked together via fairly high speed connections.

However, I have come across one dept that is having severe slow-downs when connecting to our web server. I have to qualify what is slowing down... it seems to be ONLY web port 80 and 443. We can send across a file with very high speed from the same server to the workstation without a problem. ALSO, another dept that has a Tomcat stand-alone web server seems to be running with good speed. It seems that there is something in the connection between our depts and on ports 80 & 443 that has problems.

Here is what we've seen so far:
1) Sorry, this is copied from an email sent by a person that put a sniffer on the connection.

     From the Sniffer trace I looked at when bringing up the first screen on the slow address, I see:
     15 packets of handshaking very fast (with .001 or less delta, very FAST) ,
     a 7 second pause,
     hand shaking (.001 second or less again FAST),
     7 second pause,
     More hand shaking (fast fast)
     7 second pause,
     then data flows from the serrver (158.61.144.118).

     Also, In the 40 seconds it takes to bring up this login screen, the server sends me 5 WINS requests (who are you) and received 5 answers. (pc1299 workgroup jsanders)

     As you can see from the above... our only clue at this point is that WINS might be doing something.
     We are also thinking about possible DNS issues as each dept does their own thing.

2) A separate web server in another dept running the same web app is getting connected just fine.

3) It seems to be only web ports 80 & 443 that have the problem as we can send a 16Mb file over the same connection from the same server in a matter of seconds whereas a minimal web page is taking 30 secs.

4) also, I have not verified this yet, but I have heard that another app that is running on IIS in our dept has the same problems.  This would lead me to believe it's not necessarily an Apache issue as much as settings in Apache & IIS or in our network somewhere.

5) I just checked this... it seems that if I go straight to Tomcat with port 8080... everything flies right along.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have any experts in this arena within our organization.

I would appreciate any help, even if it's just what kind of expert I would want to find and/or what company has experts in this arena.

We are in Southern California, US

Thanks,
Steve

Re: [users@httpd] Major slow down for web apps on Apache 2 (somewhere in high speed connection between depts)

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:48:50 -0700, Steve Forsyth
<sp...@co.riverside.ca.us> wrote:

>      We are also thinking about possible DNS issues as each dept does their own thing.

A problem like this could be caused by dozens of different things,
most of them unrelated to apache configuration.  But the DNS issues is
certainly something to check.  You should make sure that you have
HostnameLookups off and that you aren't using any hostname-based
access control.

Joshua.