Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by bu...@us.ibm.com on 2002/08/19 22:15:42 UTC

Problem requiring JIMI

(Sam, I'm particularly interested in your take on this situation.)

A little history.  Attachment support for java.awt.Image must have a way to
transfer Image to/from an OutputStream/InputStream.  Glen, dims, and I
determined that JIMI would solve this problem.  So we've made JIMI an
optional prereq.  It's not necessary to build/run AXIS.  But it IS
necessary to run Image attachments.

A problem with JIMI has arisen.  JIMI is required to pass the TCK.  We
(IBM) must be able to say we pass the TCK.  But JIMI is a Sun product.  Our
legal will have a fit with this.

AXIS cannot continue as we are today.  But I haven't been able to find an
open solution to solve our problem.  Help!

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Re: Problem requiring JIMI

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

 > Can IBM certify that you pass the JAXRPC TCK using JDK14? we can use
 > IMAGEIO API's in jdk14 and JIMI in jdk13? (After componentizing the
 > image i/o piece). This was my intention all along.

+1 to componetizing the image i/o piece.

 >> (Sam, I'm particularly interested in your take on this situation.)

It's actually a WebSphere call...

 >> A little history.  Attachment support for java.awt.Image must have
 >> a way to transfer Image to/from an OutputStream/InputStream.  Glen,
 >> dims, and I determined that JIMI would solve this problem.  So
 >> we've made JIMI an optional prereq.  It's not necessary to
 >> build/run AXIS.  But it IS necessary to run Image attachments.
 >>
 >> A problem with JIMI has arisen.  JIMI is required to pass the TCK.
 >> We (IBM) must be able to say we pass the TCK.  But JIMI is a Sun
 >> product.  Our legal will have a fit with this.
 >>
 >> AXIS cannot continue as we are today.  But I haven't been able to
 >> find an open solution to solve our problem.  Help!

It is not clear to me that JIMI is any less open than the JDK.

Looking at the license for JIMI, we can't distribute it except as a part
of complete packages.  But we can have a hard prereq on it if we wish,
though clearly a soft prereq would be better.

As to whether legal will have fits, IBM licenses and ships code from
other vendors, including Sun, all the time.  It is a business decision,
based on what alternatives the benefits and costs.

I actually doubt that it will be a problem.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Problem requiring JIMI

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Russell,

Can IBM certify that you pass the JAXRPC TCK using JDK14? we can use IMAGEIO API's in jdk14 and
JIMI in jdk13? (After componentizing the image i/o piece). This was my intention all along.

Thanks,
dims

--- butek@us.ibm.com wrote:
> (Sam, I'm particularly interested in your take on this situation.)
>
> A little history.  Attachment support for java.awt.Image must have a way to
> transfer Image to/from an OutputStream/InputStream.  Glen, dims, and I
> determined that JIMI would solve this problem.  So we've made JIMI an
> optional prereq.  It's not necessary to build/run AXIS.  But it IS
> necessary to run Image attachments.
>
> A problem with JIMI has arisen.  JIMI is required to pass the TCK.  We
> (IBM) must be able to say we pass the TCK.  But JIMI is a Sun product.  Our
> legal will have a fit with this.
>
> AXIS cannot continue as we are today.  But I haven't been able to find an
> open solution to solve our problem.  Help!
>
> Russell Butek
> butek@us.ibm.com

=====
Davanum Srinivas - http://xml.apache.org/~dims/