Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net> on 2003/09/11 07:12:38 UTC

[OT]Re: Mobile phone on serial port - Howto send sms?

Another option is available to you John-Paul, specifically,
http://www.kannel.org which is a wap and sms gateway.
This gateway is based on linux although you can use cygwin to compile
and run it, far from ideal but it does work
and is usable enough for testing.  The gateway does support most GSM
modems and supports other major protocols like
SMPP, CIMD... for connecting to telcos. Once you set it up you can send
sms through it's http interface. So from your servlet or business logic
class, just
make a http call to the gateway with the correct parameters and your sms
will be sent of.

A library like commons http-client  will be quite useful in this case.
FYI : kannel is open source.