Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Cobban <jc...@magma.ca> on 2003/05/27 15:28:38 UTC

How to diagnose Tomcat crash

I am trying to run tomcat 4.1.12 on Win98.  However part way through startup an exception is thrown and the task shuts down.  Unfortunately I cannot tell what the exception is because the DOS window in which it is displayed closes immediately without giving me the opportunity to read the message and there is nothing in the logs directory except for a log recording the startup of the Examples context.

Where can I look to see what went wrong?

Jim Cobban   jcobban@magma.ca
34 Palomino Dr.
Kanata, ON, CANADA
K2M 1M1
+1-613-592-9438

Re: How to diagnose Tomcat crash

Posted by pe...@kisstechnologies.co.uk.
If you open a dos window and type "catalina run" in the tomcat bin
directory it will start in the same window and so you will be able to see
the exception.  Normally it is a Java exception related to environment
vars when loading tomcat so it would not be logged anyway.
Hope this helps,
Pete

Kiss Technologies

http://www.kisstechnologies.co.uk/

Please note, we have moved!

4, Percy Street
London
W1T 1DF

New permanent phone numbers:

Phone 020 7692 9922
Fax 020 7692 9923

"Jim Cobban" <jc...@magma.ca>
27/05/2003 14:28
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"

        To:     <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        How to diagnose Tomcat crash

Posted by Jim Cobban <jc...@magma.ca>.
Thank you all for your suggestions.  The problem is resolved.

I suppose this is not an issue on UNIX, but I would suggest that Tomcat
should write the exception stack trace to a log file rather than, or in
addition to, the console window.

RE: How to diagnose Tomcat crash

Posted by James Lewis <ja...@goodtechnology.com>.
If you run it from a command prompt instead of double-clicking on the file,
you will get the stack trace...

Cheers,

James