Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2019/03/25 18:31:37 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove forceAvro() and forceKryo() from the ExecutionConfig

Hi all!

The ExecutionConfig has some very old settings: forceAvro() and
forceKryo(), which are actually misleadingly named. They cause POJOs to use
Avro or Kryo rather than the POJO serializer.

I think we do not have a good case any more to use Avro for POJOs. POJOs
that are also Avro types go through the Avro serializer anyways.

There may be a case to use Kryo for POJOs if you don't like the Flink POJO
serializer.

I would suggest to remove the "forceAvro()" option completely.
For "forceKryo()", I am torn between removing it completely or renaming it
to "setUseKryoForPOJOs()".

What are the opinion on that out there?

Best,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove forceAvro() and forceKryo() from the ExecutionConfig

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Good point, Konstantin, that makes sense.

Posted by Yun Tang <my...@live.com>.
Hi Konstantin

I think there is no direct relationship between registering chill-protobuf/chill-thrift for Protobuf/Thrift type with Kryo and enforcing POJO to use Kryo.
For both Protobuf and Thrift types, they will be extracted as GenericTypeInfo within TypeExtractor which would use Kryoserializer by default. If we do not register chill-protobuf and chill-thrift within kryo as [1] suggested, we would meet unexpected exceptions. However, PojoTypeInfo would only use KryoSerializer when we enableForceKryo(). They are actually two different aspects and use different fields within ExecutionConfig.

Best
Yun Tang

[1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.7/dev/custom_serializers.html

[https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/1RRzA12SK12Xaowkag-W37QDs5LHrfw4R0tMwVNjKLDKoIu69ld1qtA2hSDn1LSJe9w2THG1A9igK_nXPrNeIqRF87FjbEQoBnZJJgyPXCkKPFYuYc_Vh419P9EOO36ERgdnX5wG]<https://www.ververica.com/>