Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov> on 2006/09/02 00:28:54 UTC

Simple email notification for commits

Hi,

Again, I come to SVN community as a rookie.

My question today is how to transfer my existing CVS like email
notification scheme to SVN with the least resistance?

I do not want to use any additional third party products only the SVN
distro.

Basically, I need to translate what I have in
"<path-to-repository>/CVSROOT/loginfo" to the SVN equivalent.

Can someone give me an example?

My CVS loginfo file looks like so:

=========== loginfo ================================================
# The "loginfo" file is used to control where "cvs commit" log
#information is sent.  The first entry on a line is a regular expression
# which is tested
# against the directory that the change is being made to, relative to
#the $CVSROOT.  For the first match that is found, the remainder of the
#line is a filter program that should expect log information on its
#standard input
#
# If the repository name does not match any of the regular expressions
#in the first field of this file, the "DEFAULT" line is used, if it is
#specified.
#
# If the name "ALL" appears as a regular expression it is always used
# in addition to the first matching regex or "DEFAULT".
#
# The filter program may use one and only one "%s" modifier (ala
#printf).  If such a "%s" is specified in the filter program, a brief
#title is included (as one argument, enclosed in single quotes) showing
#the relative directory name and listing the modified file names.
#
# For example:
#DEFAULT                (echo ""; who am i; echo %s; date; cat) >>
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog
ALL          mail -s %s ernesto@myplace.com biguser@myplace.com
project1     mail -s %s user1@myplace.com user2@myplace.com
project2     mail -s %s user3@myplace.com user4@myplace.com
project3     mail -s %s user5@myplace.com
project4     mail -s %s user6@myplace.com user7@myplace.com
project5     mail -s %s user1@myplace.com user5@myplace.com

================ loginfo ==========================================

The above gives nice emails from the user who made the commit, log
message description and the files that were modified.

Thanks,
Ernesto

Re: Simple email notification for commits

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
> > If you would rather use the hook script examples provided, ask
> > specific quesitons. I assure you that many people here are using them
> > successfully.
> My question was absolutely specific.  As a matter of fact, I think
> cvs2svn should have taken care of the translation for me.  However, that
> is just my opinion.

Submit a patch ...

bye,

Erik.

Re: Simple email notification for commits

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov> wrote on 09/05/2006 04:29:07
PM:

> > If you would rather use the hook script examples provided, ask
> > specific quesitons. I assure you that many people here are using them
> > successfully.
> My question was absolutely specific.  As a matter of fact, I think
> cvs2svn should have taken care of the translation for me.  However, that
> is just my opinion.

I have not read every reply to you, but I think the gist of this is that
it has likely been pointed out to you that this feature is implemented in
Subversion via a post-commit hook script.  Subversion comes with one
written in Perl and one written in Python, with the latter script,
mailer.py, being the preferred option.  I think people pointed you to the
book for information on enabling hook scripts.

You then gave back some non-specific problems you have had in configuring
the hook scripts.  Before anyone is going to invest time in helping you
they will want to see that you have attempted to figure this out by
providing some specifics about which of the recommendations you have tried
and what specific errors you are running into.

Both of these scripts are pretty easy to configure and use.

Mark

Re: Simple email notification for commits

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 16:06 -0400, Kevin Greiner wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Ernest L. Williams Jr. <er...@ornl.gov> wrote:
>
>         My question today is how to transfer my existing CVS like
>         email
>         notification scheme to SVN with the least resistance?
>
> <snip>
>

>         I do not want to use any additional third party products only
>         the SVN
>         distro.
>
> Is this an arbitrary constraint?
Yes, I am trying to reduces the number of dependencies.

> I chose Subnant to send svn commit emails because it was the easier
> and fastest way I found. If you're interested in understanding if
> Subnant can provide equivalent functionality to the CVS config you've
> listed, I'll try to help.
If Subnant will support what I want to do, I will try it.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Ernest L. Williams Jr. <er...@ornl.gov> wrote:

> My question today is how to transfer my existing CVS like email
> notification scheme to SVN with the least resistance?

<snip>

I do not want to use any additional third party products only the SVN
> distro.

Is this an arbitrary constraint? I chose Subnant to send svn commit emails

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/06, Ernest L. Williams Jr. <er...@ornl.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 05:36 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > --On Friday, September 01, 2006 8:28 PM -0400 "Ernest L. Williams Jr."
> > <er...@ornl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > > My question today is how to transfer my existing CVS like email
> > > notification scheme to SVN with the least resistance?
> >
> > Use the supplied hook script example:
> >
> > <
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.reposadmin.create.html#svn.reposadmin.create.hooks
> >

> The book does not explain this very well.  I have already read the above
> before posting to this list.
>
> > You'll find the example in the tools/hook-scripts directory of the
> > distribution:
> >
> > <http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/>
> Again, the example is not clear and it gets me no where.

Evidently the examples are clear enough for people who created the
documentation as well as many here on this list. Perhaps if you asked
specific questions we could provide specific answers.

Personally, I'm not using either the perl or ruby examples but subnant
because it provided a flexible way to subscribe to email by setting
properties. <
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/subnant/trunk/README.txt?view=markup>

Re: Simple email notification for commits

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:56 -0700, Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov> writes:
> > My question was very simple but all I get is pointers to the
> > documentation.  So now, a consultant is the answer, hmmm?
>
> Yup.  You read the documentation, it didn't help you, so now you need
> someone to spend some time on it with you.  That's what consultants
> do...
>
> > What I need to do was simply done in CVS.  I just asked for a
> > translation of the following:
>
> Right.  If someone had done this work for you by posting the answer,
> then I wouldn't be suggesting a consultant.  However, since no one has
> done the work for free, you might need to pay for it.
>
> I hadn't thought this would be a controversial proposition :-).
>
> > Can the above e done simply in SVN, if so provide an example?
>
> Yes, it can be done simply, but not so simply that I (or, apparently,
> anyone else here) is going to do it for no charge.
>
> I'm not trying to tell you how the world should work, I'm merely
> pointing out how it seems to be working right now.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:56 -0700, Karl Fogel wrote:

> Right.  If someone had done this work for you by posting the answer,
> then I wouldn't be suggesting a consultant.  However, since no one has
> done the work for free, you might need to pay for it.
>
> I hadn't thought this would be a controversial proposition :-).

It might be less so if it were mentioned somewhere near the blurb
about subversion being a better CVS and having most of CVS's
features, instead of coming as a surprise after you try to
convert, though...

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Simple email notification for commits

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.