Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/07/27 06:20:14 UTC

[general] mvn Release and EU Mirror Lags

Hi,

I just did a mvn release:prepare for Compress and it failed in the
tagging stage.

Since I live in Germany I access our EU svn mirror and the revision that
I had created for the non-SNAPSHOT POM had not been replicated back to
the mirror so it failed with "no such revision".  This is something I'm
used to and it usually means "wait a few seconds and try again" - but I
don't know how to "try again" in the middle of a failed release:prepare.

So far I created the tag manually, changed the POM to 1.3-SNAPSHOT and
started the further release process from a checked out copy of the tag.
I.e. I basically switched to the "manual mode" of doing releases.

Is there anything else the release plugin would have done?

Stefan

Re: [general] mvn Release and EU Mirror Lags

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27 July 2011 07:32, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2011-07-27, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>
>> 2011/7/27 Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>:
>>> Hi,
>
>>> I just did a mvn release:prepare for Compress and it failed in the
>>> tagging stage.
>
>>> Since I live in Germany I access our EU svn mirror and the revision that
>>> I had created for the non-SNAPSHOT POM had not been replicated back to
>>> the mirror so it failed with "no such revision".  This is something I'm
>>> used to and it usually means "wait a few seconds and try again" - but I
>>> don't know how to "try again" in the middle of a failed release:prepare.
>
>> Note, that it is possible to use us mirror explicitly,  svn.us.apache.org
>
> I know, but I assume mvn is using the svn URL of the POM and not of my
> local working copy so I'd have to put the US mirror as scm URL into the
> POM.  That would be wrong.
>
>>> So far I created the tag manually, changed the POM to 1.3-SNAPSHOT and
>>> started the further release process from a checked out copy of the tag.
>>> I.e. I basically switched to the "manual mode" of doing releases.
>
>>> Is there anything else the release plugin would have done?
>
>> I have never used this plugin, but its documentation [1] says, that
>> the next step is "Commit the modified POMs".
>
> OK, did that.
>
>> also says that "If an error occurs, or the process is cancelled, then
>> running this command again will pick up from where the last one left
>> off."
>
> Maybe I should have given that a try, next time.

I much prefer creating the tag manually, using the procedure outlined here [1]

This has the advantage that trunk is never in a transitory state, and
the method is easier to understand.
It's also really easy to back out as trunk is not updated.

Also, it creates a fresh workspace for the build - there cannot be any
non-SVN files hanging around.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus#Create_the_SVN_tags_.28Manual_method.29

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/27 Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I just did a mvn release:prepare for Compress and it failed in the
> tagging stage.
>
> Since I live in Germany I access our EU svn mirror and the revision that
> I had created for the non-SNAPSHOT POM had not been replicated back to
> the mirror so it failed with "no such revision".  This is something I'm
> used to and it usually means "wait a few seconds and try again" - but I
> don't know how to "try again" in the middle of a failed release:prepare.

Note, that it is possible to use us mirror explicitly,  svn.us.apache.org

> So far I created the tag manually, changed the POM to 1.3-SNAPSHOT and
> started the further release process from a checked out copy of the tag.
> I.e. I basically switched to the "manual mode" of doing releases.
>
> Is there anything else the release plugin would have done?

I have never used this plugin, but its documentation [1] says, that
the next step is "Commit the modified POMs".

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html

[1] also says that "If an error occurs, or the process is cancelled,
then running this command again will pick up from where the last one
left off."

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [general] mvn Release and EU Mirror Lags

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-07-27 06:20, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just did a mvn release:prepare for Compress and it failed in the
> tagging stage.
>
> Since I live in Germany I access our EU svn mirror and the revision that
> I had created for the non-SNAPSHOT POM had not been replicated back to
> the mirror so it failed with "no such revision".  This is something I'm
> used to and it usually means "wait a few seconds and try again" - but I
> don't know how to "try again" in the middle of a failed release:prepare.

You just run 'mvn relese:prepare' again after waiting for a little while.

I made a patch for the release plugin to handle this more gracefully. It
was added in version 2.2. See
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-613

> So far I created the tag manually, changed the POM to 1.3-SNAPSHOT and
> started the further release process from a checked out copy of the tag.
> I.e. I basically switched to the "manual mode" of doing releases.
>
> Is there anything else the release plugin would have done?
>
> Stefan

Dennis Lundberg