Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com> on 2003/11/03 20:58:21 UTC

ForwardAction not picking up Tiles defs?

I'm following the instructions provided here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/building_view.html (section
3.4.3) for incorporating tiles definitions in struts-config.xml, and
when the ActionServlet receives a request for an action who's parameter
is a tile definition name (such as .baseLayout), I get the following
exception:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Path .baseLayout does not start with a
"/" character

My action is defined like so:

        <action
            path="/US/tilestest"
            type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction"
            parameter=".baseLayout"/>

And I've defined the plug-in for the Tiles requestor.

  <plug-in
    className="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesPlugin">
    <set-property
        property="definitions-config"
        value="/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml"/>
  </plug-in>

My tiles-defs.xml has one simple entry:

    <definition name=".baseLayout" path="/common/layouts/baseLayout.jsp"/>

within the <tiles-definitions> node.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--
Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst

RE: ForwardAction not picking up Tiles defs?

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
You can turn off debugging by setting the
type to "none".  I recommend you set it
instead to "info" so you can follow any
standard tiles messages while you work on
it.

Regards,
David

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
No go :( No discernable difference in end-effect or logging.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
I'll try this, thanks.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
Far as I know, I'm using 1.1 ... :)

Posted by John Cavacas <jo...@johncavacas.com>.
I've used and re-used the struts-blank.war distribution and never had a
problem with the struts-config.xml file included in it... In fact I just
used it a few days ago to start another app, which uses and is using Tiles
without a problem.

John

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
Should I just scrap my "controller" element?!

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
I see this:

[DEBUG] I18nFactorySet - -definitions={baseLayout={name=baseLayout,
path=/common/layouts/baseLayout.jsp, role=null, controller=null,
controllerType=null, controllerInstance=null, attributes={}}
}
[DEBUG] I18nFactorySet - -factory loaded : {baseLayout={name=baseLayout,
path=/common/layouts/baseLayout.jsp, role=null, controller=null,
controllerType=null, controllerInstance=null, attributes={}}
}
[DEBUG] I18nFactorySet - -default factory:{baseLayout={name=baseLayout,
path=/common/layouts/baseLayout.jsp, role=null, controller=null,
controllerType=null, controllerInstance=null, attributes={}}
}
[DEBUG] I18nFactorySet - -Factory initialized from file
'/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml'.

My definition is now called "baseLayout" instead of ".baseLayout" - I
haven't changed it back yet from the previous poster's suggestion.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
In the debug output of Tiles/simplelog.

'.baseLayout' - processed as uri
-or-
'.baseLayout' - processed as definition

should appear there just before the request fails.
Before these lines, there should be a "processForwardConfig(.baseLayout,..."
as well.

--- "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com> wrote:
> Where should I be looking for this message?
>
> Hubert Rabago wrote:
>
> >I haven't tried that before, either.  AFAIK, having the plug-in takes care of
> >installing the TilesRequestProcessor -- you don't have to specify it.  But
> since
> >a subclass works, having that should work, too.
> >
> >When you run the code, does it show the ff message:
> >
> >'.baseLayout' - processed as uri
> >
> >?
> >
> >--- "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Only one struts-config.xml, and only the default RequestProcessor, far
> >>as I know ... here's the "controller" config parameter in struts-config.xml
> >>
> >>    <controller
> >>        processorClass="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor"
> >>        nocache="true" locale="false"/>

> >>must

> ForwardAction.

> dot.
> >>>>>>

> >>like

> balking

> the

> you

> (section
> parameter

=== message truncated ===

RE: ForwardAction not picking up Tiles defs?

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
You can enable tiles debugging output to see information like the below.  It
came from my tiles "tiles-defs.xml" definition named ".success.Page".  I
setup a forward for that action so the mapping "success" goes to
".success.Page", which pulls up "/success.jsp" for me.  It works fine on
Struts 1.1 with the dot notation.  I believe I used it on 1.0 (when I was
learning) with the dot notation as well.

[INFO] TilesRequestProcessor - -Tiles definition factory found for request
processor ''.
[DEBUG] TilesRequestProcessor - -processForwardConfig(.success.Page, false)
[DEBUG] TilesRequestProcessor - -uri=/success.jsp doInclude=false
[INFO] PropertyMessageResources - -Initializing,
config='org.apache.struts.taglib.html.LocalStrings', returnNull=true
[INFO] PropertyMessageResources - -Initializing,
config='org.apache.struts.util.LocalStrings', returnNull=true
[DEBUG] TilesRequestProcessor - -  '.success.Page' - processed as definition

I turned this on by setting up two files related to commons-logging.

1) /WEB-INF/classes/simplelog.properties with the contents:
org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesReques
tProcessor=trace

2) /WEB-INF/classes/commons-logging.properties with the contents:
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog
org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.defaultlog=info
org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showlogname=true
org.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showdatetime=true

Try turning it on for yourself and see how far it goes with the forwards and
if it even goes to the tiles definition.  It could be something as simple as
a plain typing error.  I've had items one letter off that I kept missing.

Regards,
David

struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
I haven't tried that before, either.  AFAIK, having the plug-in takes care of
installing the TilesRequestProcessor -- you don't have to specify it.  But since
a subclass works, having that should work, too.

When you run the code, does it show the ff message:

'.baseLayout' - processed as uri

?

--- "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com> wrote:
> Only one struts-config.xml, and only the default RequestProcessor, far
> as I know ... here's the "controller" config parameter in struts-config.xml
>
>     <controller
>         processorClass="org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor"
>         nocache="true" locale="false"/>
>

> Hubert Rabago wrote:
>
> >I dunno.  Try to find some other possible causes.  Do you only have one
> >struts-config.xml?  Maybe you have multiple and the different plug-ins are
> >causing problems.  Are you using a custom RequestProcessor?  If you are, it
> must
> >extend TilesRequestProcessor or else Tiles can't intercept your forwards.
> >
> >--- "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com> wrote:
> >

> >>No difference ... just changed it to /tilestest.

> >>"/myPath"

> like

> >>request

> path="/common/layouts/baseLayout.jsp"/>

=== message truncated ===

Re: ForwardAction not picking up Tiles defs?

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mikael Eriksson - Swedish Connection <mi...@connection.se>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
This is my first attempt at using tiles defined in tiles-defs.xml, so
far, all the tiles are being used via tiles:insert in individual JSP
pages. That seems to be working flawlessly.

Incidentally, I just tried replacing o.a.s.a.ForwardAction with
o.a.s.tiles.actions.NoOpAction (deprecated) and it doesn't work, either
- but, it doesn't throw an exception - it just silently fails, pretty
much. Debug logging is enabled and the following is all I get:

[INFO] RequestProcessor - -Processing a 'GET' for path '/US/tilestest'
[DEBUG] RequestProcessor - - Looking for Action instance for class
org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.NoOpAction

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.