Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by sully6768 <su...@yahoo.com> on 2012/01/08 00:10:50 UTC

SCR Tools for Karaf

Hello All,

I have submitted a set of commands, mbeans, a feature config and some
examples.  I attached them to the existing issue KARAF-52.

Scott ES

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Scott,

thanks for the contribution.

I will take a look (I saw that David too).

Regards
JB

On 01/08/2012 12:10 AM, sully6768 wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have submitted a set of commands, mbeans, a feature config and some
> examples.  I attached them to the existing issue KARAF-52.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-52
>
> Thanks,
> Scott ES

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by sully6768 <su...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks everyone for the feedback and support.  As a reminder, KARAF-52 is
related to the addition of SCR commands.  It is currently not attached to
any version of Karaf as an FYI for house keeping purposes. :)

Best Regards,
Scott ES
http://fusesource.com

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 on back-porting parts of new features to a 2.3. after the 3.0 line as well.

I believe that's been discussed as the plan :)

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it makes sense to me. My main point was that since it was such an old
request it should be propably ported to 2.x.something too. A 2.2.3 sounds
great to me!

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I'm absolutely with Guillaume here. I would be so much +1 that we
stop adding new features on micro release branches :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

I will merge it after lunch.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey David,
You're right. I did wrong assumption that patch contains some webconsole stuff. I also saw the ds plugin so I thought that there will be next.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Łukasz Dywicki
--
Code-House
http://code-house.org

Wiadomość napisana przez David Jencks w dniu 2012-01-10, o godz. 00:00:

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Łukasz,

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey Scott,

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 8, 2012, at 2:51 PM, sully6768 wrote:

> For the moment the SCR feature has to be loaded first or as part of the web
> console.  Maybe that would be the best option and load it as part of the web
> console feature.  Thoughts?

I don't see the problem in having them separate.  People may want the web console without scr, and we shouldn't force them to install scr.  I think it would be better to put the scr webconsole bit into a scr module, but I don't know where the code is.  In felix trunk there appears to be a webconsole plugin for ds support, but it doesn't look like its been released (version is 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT).

> Also, I just attached a patch to KARAF-52 for the console color output.  I
> tried it with several color consoles and it seems to be clear.  Let me know
> what you think.

I applied this, thanks!

david jencks

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi... inline

On Jan 8, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> My comments are inlined below.
>
> Scott ES
>
> On Jan 8, 2012, at 3:17 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've modified this a bit to work with trunk and committed the results.  This looks really really useful!  I've used scr a lot in geronimo and this looks like it will help diagnose the problems I keep running into.
>>
>> I have a few questions.
>>
>> - I don't understand some of the feature descriptor.  I've replaced it with one generated from the dependencies.  I don't understand why the repository, eventadmin, or second feature are needed at all.  Also I don't see why the felix scr and metatype are dependencies rather than just listed.  I didn't remove the original feature.xml until we straighten this out.
>
> Most of is for the web console. The web console has a nice interface for SCR  If you load the web console first it doesn't pick up the SCR dependency and show the tab for it. The SCR WC interface also has a dependency on MetaType and EventAdmin, at least it used to. I don't know about 3.x.  So it was more of a convenient work around if I was in an environment where I had to load it after the WC.
>
> MetaType also has some additional benefits SCR development when combined with bndlib. There is a convenience class in bndlib that takes your component config interface and will create a type safe proxy (see the example code).
>
> Because of all this I wrapped all the dependencies in a feature for convenience.
>
> I am not sure what the best approach is given the WCs optional dependency on SCR. It could be that loading of an optional WC capability works correctly in trunk. I will look at it this afternoon and get back with a response.

I know just about nothing about the webconsole.  I did sort of think that the idea generally was to put pieces of the web console in with the stuff it worked with, which would mean we might want to move the webconsole scr support into the scr module.  Maybe someone with more clue can comment :-)

thanks
david jencks

Re: SCR Tools for Karaf

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@yahoo.com>.