Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Justin <jr...@ucdavis.edu> on 2005/06/28 23:32:39 UTC

Google SoC

Hi

I was just accepted by the google's summer of code to work on the gump-maven project.  I was wondering which version of gump (ie 1, 2, 3) I should be using and where i acquire that code.

-Thanks
Justin Merz

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@dotnot.org>.
On Jun 28, 2005, at 7:38 PM, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Justin, please collect your thoughts on all this while we get the
> logistics
> sorted out & send you details. Feel free to post ideas/questions
> here --
> and/or update your own page on the Gump wiki (see [3]).
>
> First though, you ought read  [6] and [7] and get your ASF CLA [8]
> sorted
> ASAP. Please get to this ASAP, so the CLA doesn't become a bottleneck.
>
> regards,
>
> Adam
>
> [1]    http://gump.apache.org/metadata/index.html
> [2]
> http://www.jajakarta.org/turbine/en/turbine/maven/reference/project-
> descriptor.html
> [3]    http://wiki.apache.org/gump/MavenId
> [4]    http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/gump/
> [5]    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/branches/Gump3/
>
> [6]    http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> [7]    http://www.apache.org/dev/
> [8]    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Scott is amazed at Adam's response and hopes he posts it where other
SoC project can use same :)

Scott

Re: Google SoC

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> Justin, welcome! It's a pleasure to have you on board.

Yup, welcome & congratulations. :-)

> I would suggest you to start from Gump 3, which is a little cleaner and
> less complex and has a more modular architecture.
>
> What do others think?

Gump2 has an integration with Maven, albeit at the runtime interface (Gump2
can launch Maven) but not the metadata level, i.e. the Maven project
descriptor. This means that Gump2 processes it's own (Gump) metadata format
[1] to understand how interact with Maven, and not Maven's native version
[2], which contain the same information. This duplication makes it harder
for Maven projects to exist in Gump, even though a tool exists [4] that maps
the formats. The truism "if data exists in two places one of them is wrong"
holds, and often the Gump metadata is out of date/wrong.

We are looking for Gump3 to consume a Maven project descriptors [2]
directly. Also, one thing we wish to resolve is [3]. As such, the Gump3 code
is in SVN, at [5], although we'll figure out a better way for you to access
it.

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@dotnot.org>.
Justin,

Welcome!  I will be your mentor, but I would prefer for everything
that we do from now on to be on this list, so everyone knows what is
going on.

I would also say to look at Gump3, but Leo and Adam will tell us if
we are wrong.

Please start a wiki page under wiki.apache.org/gump in the design
topics section, called GumpAndMaven, or something similar.  We can
all help to flesh out your design for the integration process.

Always feel free to post here if you have any questions, and please
note that there are no stupid questions.

Once you get Gump3 up and running with some minimal project set, let
us know, and we can kick off the design discussion.  If you have an
idea on the design, just post it here and we can start to hash it out/
post it to the wiki.

Cheers,
Scott Sanders

Re: Google SoC