Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/10/23 05:51:33 UTC

Draft of 2.0.2 Performance Report

I've been noodling on this for a bit and wanted to give y'all a
gander at what I have for the performance report at this point.  This
is based on 2.0.2 and uses DayTrader 2.0.  There are a few numbers
that are missing.  I originally had planned on not producing them but
the charts look odd with the missing numbers.  It includes a
comparison of 1.1.1 and 2.0.2 using DayTrader 1.2 and 2.0.  Heh, we
need to release those monsters.

This should be considered an alpha release but will move quickly to
final by the end of the week :)

Please provide your feedback on content, what's interesting, not, etc.

Thanks for taking a few minutes to look at the draft.

Look at http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/performance/geronimo/2.0/
Geronimo2.0.2PerformanceReport-v01draft.pdf

Thanks

Re: Draft of 2.0.2 Performance Report

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Christopher Blythe wrote:

> matt... just did an initial look. just a few comments for now...
>
> - were there funcational/load issues with the daytrader 1.2 numbers
> that were omitted?

Not really.  The runs were clean, CPU was high and all the
fundamentals seemed to be correct.  Was there something specific you
were thinking of?

> - was really surprised by the slow down in the web container
> primitives (probably has to do with the spec upgrade) and the jump
> in direct mode performance

The primary difference there is a new Tomcat version and perhaps some
changes to our integration.  Later on I'd like to do some profiling
to better understand the issues but the slow down seems to be
consistent with other performance numbers I've seen.  I think the
Linux Journal guys did something in this space but I'd have to go
back and look.

> - thanks for the kudos in the acknowledgements

Heh, thank you

> - yes, we need to tag 1.2 and 2.0 so we can start the next turn of
> the crank on 2.X

I'll start that process this week.  Need to get the web pages updated
a bit as well.  Lots of little stuff to do.

Posted by Christopher Blythe <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Thanks.  Amazing what you can read when you know the answer.

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
I think that article details the method about how to perform an out-of-box
performance testing on JEE 5 compliant java application servers, including G
2.2. User can follow it to do a simple and quick benchmark, and make choice
accordingly.

Forrest

Re: Draft of 2.0.2 Performance Report

Posted by frapien <fr...@gmx.de>.
are there any plans to update the Performance Report for Geronimo 2.2?

IBM has writen a performance benchmark article for the DayTrader Apps
comparing JBoss with Geronimo
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-perfbenchmk/index.htm

Re: Draft of 2.0.2 Performance Report

Posted by Piyush Agarwal <pv...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately I dont have any such script for parsing the xml... if you have
used a sync-engine for the 2 jibe machines then its log files might have
merged data.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Piyush Agarwal <pv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Christopher Blythe <cj...@gmail.com>.
ah... piyush raises a good point regarding the session 2 direct mode. this
is provided by both daytrader 1.2 and 2.0 and is one of the more common
patterns we see out in the j2ee community.

chris

Posted by Piyush Agarwal <pv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,