Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Leeuw van der, Tim" <ti...@nl.unisys.com> on 2003/11/18 07:39:36 UTC

How to do deltification on windows?

Hi,

Re: How to do deltification on windows?

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:

>It's just not easy to write a post-commit hook *that runs backgrounded*
>on Windows.  That is, if the Windows hook system works *at all*
>(which, to be honest, I can't verify since I've never tried it), you
>should still be able to add a call to 'svnadmin deltify' in there.
>Your commits won't return successfully until the deltification is
>done, but that's the same way things worked in 0.32 anyway.

FYI, adding post-commit.bat into the hooks directory of a repository
does work under Windows (XP, at least). I've had it running NetCat to
trigger a DamageControl build process[1] every time a commit succeeds.
Not that I'd seriously want to run a Subversion server under Windows...

Cheers,
Mike.

[1] That probably sounds like garbage, but the gist is that the batch
file will be executed and behave roughly the same as a Unix equivalent.

Re: How to do deltification on windows?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:

>"Leeuw van der, Tim" <ti...@nl.unisys.com> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>>From the discussion on the dev-list about deltification, I get the
>>impression that it's not that easy to write a post-commit hook that runs the
>>deltification command on windows... Am I right?
>>

>It's just not easy to write a post-commit hook *that runs backgrounded*
>on Windows.

    start /MIN /LOW svnadmin.exe deltify -r "%1" "%2"

or whatever the parameters are.

RE: How to do deltification on windows?

Posted by Carsten Schurig <cs...@ebz-dresden.de>.
cmpilato@localhost.localdomain <> wrote on Tuesday, November 18, 2003
8:45 AM:

> Subject: Re: How to do deltification on windows?
>
> It's just not easy to write a post-commit hook *that runs
> backgrounded* on Windows.  That is, if the Windows hook system works
> *at all* (which, to be honest, I can't verify since I've never tried
> it), you should still be able to add a call to 'svnadmin deltify' in
> there. Your commits won't return successfully until the deltification
> is done, but that's the same way things worked in 0.32 anyway.

A background process could be done using cygwin maybe...

Well, I think I'll run the deltification in a nightly script just before
the backup (what I'm curious of now is, is a 'dump -incremental' after
deltification different from one before the deltification?).

Cheers,
	Carsten

Re: How to do deltification on windows?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.