Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com> on 2022/06/24 09:46:17 UTC

FlatLAF tab style discussion

Hi, dev.

There's a discussion on https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3115 about changing the default "look" of window system tabs in NetBeans. See the before/after screenshots there.

With FlatLAF becoming the default look & feel since NetBeans 13, the tab components in the window system (over editors and sidebars) no longe resemble tabs, and are somewhat difficult to see. The proposed PR fixes this, by introducing a new look for the tabs that shows the selected tab as a proper tab while leaving a simplified flattened look for unselected tabs. Other kinds of tabs, e.g. in dialog boxes, or nested tabs in the Output pane, retain the more flat "blue underline" style.

1) Would people like this new style to become the default on NetBeans? (See screenshots in the PR above.)
2) Should there be an option to switch back to the old style?

-- Eirik

Re: FlatLAF tab style discussion

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
FlatLaf uses their own themes https://www.formdev.com/flatlaf/themes/

Themes offer more flexibility then customization through properties files: https://www.formdev.com/flatlaf/properties-files/

AW: FlatLAF tab style discussion

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey all,

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> I just don't think that changing the design of the tabs (particularly making them not flat) is the way to fix it.

Well, one question to consider is: Why are the window system tabs flat in the first place? They always looked like proper tabs until NetBeans 13. Is the "flat" design really better?

One source of confusion may be due to the fact that "FlatLAF" has "flat" in its name. But a lot of the advantages we get from FlatLAF--it's high level of polish, customizability, cross-platform yet native-looking feel--are unrelated to the look of the window system tabs in particular.

Another point: I did a survey of other IDE-like apps that have tabs in their window systems (see screenshots in https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3115 ) , and the current NetBeans style resembles only one of them, namely IntelliJ. Which makes sense, since FlatLAF was originally meant to mimic the IntelliJ theme. But now that NetBeans uses FlatLAF as its default, it is less desirable, from a branding perspective, to try to copy the visual style of a "competing" IDE.

--- Eirik

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 at 20:01, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe the problem with the tabs is more than the gradients/colors.

Well, all I can say is that with other software I use that has similar
tab design (inc. disconnected flat tabs) it is the better use of
colour contrast and focus/accent colour that means I don't notice this
issue in them.  I do in NetBeans.

> My question is: shouldn't this be changed upstream? Because this sounds
> like an issue which might be potentially changed upstream. To avoid
> having to revert this we should check If there is no desire to provide
> the option or change it upstream,

Yes, this was my hope.  The tab displayer UI is here, but they are
based on the upstream look.*  Not to mention, Karl is also a NetBeans
committer.

* interesting to contrast with running with
-J-DNB.WinSys.WinSys.TabControl.SimpleTabs.Enabled=true

> good defaults are important. So we should try to set it to the most
> popular option so that only few have to change the default (I hope
> enabled is the most popular option ;)).

+1 to enabled by default (despite some reservation on the fix).

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: FlatLAF tab style discussion

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 at 15:34, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 at 20:01, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe the problem with the tabs is more than the gradients/colors.
> > The active tab looks like it is not attached to the editor due to the
> > separator line. It doesn't look as if it would be on the same "3d
> > level", which lets me intuitively second guess if the active tab is
> > actually the active tab. (I am not saying the colors should not be
> > changed too)
> >
> > But since even intelliJ moved that line up, everything indicates that
> > more share the same opinion / have a problem with it.
>
> Incidentally, I got the urge to see what is possible within the theme
> files of the existing code.

OK, I've put up a PR and full screenshots for discussion to show
possibility of (mostly) just tweaking the colour scheme to address the
issues, rather than discussing abstractedly -

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4286

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: FlatLAF tab style discussion

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.
As mentioned in the https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3115, +1 for me.

Additional question to eirikbakke <https://github.com/eirikbakke> as
FaltLaf has advanced customization options that may be more adequate for
some of our NB platform based applications, when where can we call

FlatLaf.registerCustomDefaultsSource( "com.myapp.themes" );
FlatLightLaf.setup();

during Netbeans lifecycle setup? Is it early enough or too late in an
module Installer class? Will it work to override some FlatLaF values or
will all be replaced?

Cheers,

JM

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 24.06.22 21:11, Eirik Bakke wrote:
>> My question is: shouldn't this be changed upstream?
> The window system tabs are not actually part of the upstream FlatLAF library--they are in the FlatLAF customization module inside the NetBeans codebase. So it's easy to change.

awesome - thats a good sign. But there are also non-editor tabs which
would be inconsistent as soon we merge, which might be relevant for
platform apps (but they would have a way out with the option).

At least we wouldn't have to revert it if its changed upstream, which is
good.

-mbien

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.