Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2012/10/12 09:31:13 UTC

${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Do people mind if web sites (and maybe mailing lists) of new podlings
live at domains of the form "${podling}.incubator.apache.org"?

This is in relation to infra work on streamlining TLP migrations.  (Case
in point: CMS TLP migrations.)  This thread is about the
externally-visible names, not about implementation details.

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/10/18 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Jukka Zitting wrote on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03:43 +0200:
>>>     a separate ripple LDAP group (but no ripple-pmc yet)
>>
>> What would it be needed for?
>
> Nothing, assuming we put the git repository at
> .../incubator-ripple.git and svn at .../incubator/ripple/.

>>> work with the list request form?)
>>
>> No, for now request the old-naming-pattern and infra will take care of
>> adjusting the requests.  (trunk/mlreq/to-piao.sh)
>
> OK, cool.
>
>>>     web site at http://ripple.incubator.apache.org/ (backed by
>>> /repos/asf/ripple/site)
>>>     git repository at https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/ripple.git
>>
>> I was assuming svn, git, and dist spaces remain "incubator/helix"
>> / "incubator-helix.git".
>
> Works for me.
Sounds good for me too.
I will try soon website with helix podling. Mailing lists has worked very fine.

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03:43 +0200:
>>     a separate ripple LDAP group (but no ripple-pmc yet)
>
> What would it be needed for?

Nothing, assuming we put the git repository at
.../incubator-ripple.git and svn at .../incubator/ripple/.

>> work with the list request form?)
>
> No, for now request the old-naming-pattern and infra will take care of
> adjusting the requests.  (trunk/mlreq/to-piao.sh)

OK, cool.

>>     web site at http://ripple.incubator.apache.org/ (backed by
>> /repos/asf/ripple/site)
>>     git repository at https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/ripple.git
>
> I was assuming svn, git, and dist spaces remain "incubator/helix"
> / "incubator-helix.git".

Works for me.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Jukka Zitting wrote on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03:43 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Do people mind if web sites (and maybe mailing lists) of new podlings
> > live at domains of the form "${podling}.incubator.apache.org"?
>
> Sounds like we have consensus that this is a good idea. There were
> some concerns about going directly to ${podling}.apache.org, so let's
> not do that for now.
>
> I'd like to suggest the new Ripple podling as a candidate for seeing
> how this will work out in practice. In practice I think we'd set up

You're a little late, helix's mailing lists have already been set up
this way.  (The podling hasn't asked for other resources yet.)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <
nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, didn't notice that thread before, but still, as Joe pointed,
> INFRA should give  their opinion about it.

Does Daniel's original email not qualify for that? ;)

--
NS

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Do people mind if web sites (and maybe mailing lists) of new podlings
>> live at domains of the form "${podling}.incubator.apache.org"?
>
> Not at all. I'd even be fine with ${podling}.apache.org especially if
> they've already completed the PODLINGNAMESEARCH process.
>
> See http://markmail.org/message/sbpw2ifnppzd4kal for an earlier
> discussion on this that so far didn't lead to much action.

Hmm, didn't notice that thread before, but still, as Joe pointed,
INFRA should give  their opinion about it.

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 October 2012 12:58, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ...I'd even be fine with ${podling}.apache.org especially if
>>> they've already completed the PODLINGNAMESEARCH process....
>>
>> Agreed - we could just require a visible standard "incubating" logo on
>> podling's websites.
>
> We already require that, but it does not always happen (and getting it
> fixed can be non-trivial)....

It can be as simple as requiring *new* podlings (that's what we're
talking about AFAIK) to include an html snippet with a logo that
points to an explanations page.

-Bertrand

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12 October 2012 12:58, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I'd even be fine with ${podling}.apache.org especially if
>> they've already completed the PODLINGNAMESEARCH process....
>
> Agreed - we could just require a visible standard "incubating" logo on
> podling's websites.

We already require that, but it does not always happen (and getting it
fixed can be non-trivial).

I don't think it's a good idea to drop the incubator part of the name.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
I also like the idea of moving podling name to domain name. However I'm pretty indifferent between $podling.incubator.a.o and $podling.a.o, so I'm +1 on both (just contributor opinion).

Jarcec

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote on Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 16:36:20 +0000:
> I would be +1 for simply ${podling}.apache.org, per:

Infra doesn't have an opinion on this.  I think it's technically
possible.

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I would be +1 for simply ${podling}.apache.org, per:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorDeconstructionProposal

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1

Good idea

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
I like it  -

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
sebb wrote on Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 13:05:06 +0100:
> On 12 October 2012 08:31, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Do people mind if web sites (and maybe mailing lists) of new podlings
> > live at domains of the form "${podling}.incubator.apache.org"?
> >
> > This is in relation to infra work on streamlining TLP migrations.  (Case
> > in point: CMS TLP migrations.)  This thread is about the
> > externally-visible names, not about implementation details.
>
> Seems good to me.
>
> At present the podling websites are implemented as folders within the
> top-level incubator website; this has always struck me as rather
> awkward as it limits what names can be used. (It also makes for messy
> permissions issues as not all podlings use svnpubsub yet, but that
> will of course disappear soon).

Actually there is another problem, it means the incubator site must be
checked out before the podling sites.  But that happens only when we
rebuild the web server...

Re: ${podling}.incubator.apache.org

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.