Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/01 18:07:20 UTC

Re: Qpid java 6.0.0 alpha is available

Hi Alex

I took a look at the produced Alpha.  I'm noticing a couple of problems
with the licensing.

1) Running "mvn  package   -DskipTests -Pdependency-check" flags that the
Eclipse Public License - v1.0 is forbidden by the license-maven-plugin.

Since binaries licensed with the Eclipse Public License are permitted as
dependencies of Apache Project [1], I think this might be simply a case of
mismatch in the license names  "Eclipse Public License - Version 1.0" !=
"License Eclipse Public License - v 1.0".  I think qpid-parent might need
another <licenseMerge>?

[INFO] --- license-maven-plugin:1.6:add-third-party
(check-third-party-licensing) @ qpid-test-utils ---
[INFO] Included licenses (whitelist): [Apache Software License, Version
2.0, The MIT License, BSD License, Eclipse Public License - Version 1.0,
Common Public License Version 1.0, Academic Free License v2.1]
[WARNING] There is 2 forbidden licenses used:
[WARNING] License Eclipse Public License - v 1.0used by 2 dependencies:
 -Logback Classic Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-classic)
 -Logback Core Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-core:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-core)
[WARNING] License GNU Lesser General Public Licenseused by 2 dependencies:
 -Logback Classic Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-classic)
 -Logback Core Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-core:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-core)

2) I manually checked the NOTICE and LICENSE files included in the
bundles.  It looks like we still have references to Log4J, no reference to
Logback or Guava.  There may be more, I think IIRC once 1) is resolved, the
running license-check will report the discrepancies.

3) I noticed that the year range in the NOTICE file is -2014 rather than
-2015.

I did some very rudimentary checking of the client/broker packages, no
issues encountered.

cheers Keith

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

We have to postpone the beta as we are currently investigating
performance issues. As soon as we resolve them, we will cut the branch
and do a beta build. Hopefully, that will be accomplished during the
following week. If not, we will provide another notice about the
delay.

Kind Regards,
Alex