Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/01 14:10:13 UTC

Re: Struts Shale

On 12/28/05, Tadeu Ferreira Oliveira <ta...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> I mean The shale framework is always the best choice for a new project,
> considering that the development team does not have experience using MVC
> frameworks?

The tipping point is whether you want to JavaServerFaces.

* http://www.jsfcentral.com/

If you do, then for simple applications, JSF is liable to be all that
you need, and the Sun Studio Creator can help you get started.

* http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/index.jsp

JSF is a specification, and aside from the Sum implementation, there
is also a Apache implementation of the JSF specification.

* http://myfaces.apache.org/

Of course, JSF is still new, and not everyone is ready to use it yet.
Now that we have JSTL, for a very simple application with a handful of
pages, standard JSPs and JSTL can be enough, and you may not need a
framework at all.

* http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/

If you do need to write a larger application with dozens of pages, and
the application is destined to grow over time, then you will probably
need something like Struts. The larger the application, and longer it
needs to be maintained, the more you need a proven framework.

Aside from Struts Shale and Struts Action, there are several other
frameworks you might want to try. We list several of these on the
Struts sidebar. For a Struts alternative, the three most likely
suspects would be:

* Jakarta Tapestry - http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/
* OS WebWork - http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/
* Spring MVC - http://www.springframework.org/docs/reference/mvc.html

Other up-and-comers, with their own unique qualities, are

* Stripes - http://stripes.mc4j.org/confluence/display/stripes/Home
* Wicket - http://wicket.sourceforge.net/

If you are planning a serious application, then do be sure to take a
hard look at AppFuse

* AppFuse - http://raibledesigns.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=AppFuse

An interesting class project might be to dissect Roller, a
full-featured, real-life, enterprise-grade Struts application

* Roller - http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/project

Welcome to interesting times! :)

-Ted.