Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by iwannaplay games <fu...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/05 08:19:21 UTC

Improving query performance on hive and hdfs

Hi all,

I ran a query on hive on top of 90 million records that took 12 minutes to
execute and same query on sql server took 8 minutes.My question is how can
i make hadoop's performance better.What all configurations will improve the
latency?

Thanks & Regards
Prabhjot

RE: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Ajit Kumar Shreevastava <Aj...@hcl.com>.
Hi,

I have Apace Hadoop 0.20.2 installed on Cygwin (on Windows 7). Hadoop is working fine through SSHD on Cygwin. After installing Hadoop, I have installed Hive 0.8.1 following the standard installation instructions. $HADOOP_HOME and $HIVE_HOME are both exported to PATH.

The problem I am facing is that when I type bin/hive from $HIVE_HOME I get the Hive (hive>) prompt. But when I type in something (e.g. SHOW TABLES; etc) there is no output. The cursor simply keeps on blinking.

I have tried some patches (e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-344) but it has not helped. Can somebody help?

Thanks,

Ajit

Regards,
Ajit

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
How Jason ever got top billing, I'll never know. :-)
(Just kidding Jason!)

Yes, that's the book.

-Mike

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
Amazon says Oct 9.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
Amazon says Oct 9.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
Amazon says Oct 9.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Robert Dyer <rd...@iastate.edu>.
Amazon says Oct 9.

--

Robert Dyer
rdyer@iastate.edu

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

Ajit.Shreevastava@hcl.com> wrote:

> [...]
> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses

Bertrand Dechoux

Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> information could be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
> transmission. The e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
> on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
> author and may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
> written consent of authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
> please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses

Bertrand Dechoux

New Learner for Haddop and Hive

Re: Improving query performance on hive and hdfs

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
It would be interesting to know the size of the data, how it is stored
within Hive and what kind of query you run on it.

Typically, 90 000 000 records could be less than 64 Mo and could even be
all loaded into memory. In that case, yes, it is not astonishing that
alternatives could outperform Hadoop.

If you are using regexes in order to parse the line (row format), there
could be a point of improvement there.

Then again depending on the query (multiple joins? group by?), that could
have a huge impact too.

Regards

Bertrand

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Improving query performance on hive and hdfs

Posted by MiaoMiao <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vasco Visser <va...@gmail.com>.
You know that Hadoop is not designed for low latency. To say anything
useful I think you should share some more details:

- What query are you launching (does it have join/group by)
- How many mappers/reducers and jobs does the query spawn
- How does your data look like
- Also what version of Hadoop are you running, etc

Some things that are applicable depending on the things above
- Check if you can partition your data so that Hive can do partition pruning.
- If your query has joins then look at
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/languagemanual-joins.html (bottom of
page) to see how to organize your data to let Hive do a map side join.
- Try to play with the config option
mapreduce.job.reduce.slowstart.completedmaps, this can help you if you
have a lot of idle reducers in the map phase.
- I would try to limit the number of task per node to the number of
CPUs on the system, but I don't know if this is common practice.

Posted by Vasco Visser <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vasco Visser <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vasco Visser <va...@gmail.com>.