Posted to hadoop-migrations@infra.apache.org by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu> on 2020/07/13 11:37:02 UTC

Re: Migration of Hadoop labelled nodes to new dedicated Master

Hey Dmitry!

For Hive we took a path - from which some parts might be usefull for you; I just write about it a bit:

For one thing - to have the PR/JIRA links - you might just need to add a asf.yaml as described in [1].

To test your project you have a few options;
* you could try to dump/load the jobs at the new Jenkins CI instance.
* you could create a new - more modern CI by rethinking it:
   * option A (use jenkins):
     * to enable building github PRs I think the most painless approach is to use a Jenkinsfile with a multibranch pipeline job
     * the Jenkinsfile should contain the instructions to build the project - this way modification to the CI will also come in PRs as well [2]
     * iirc for this to work you will need to set a user who has write access to the repo - without that; it won't be able to request merge commits from github
     * for Hive we took this approach because we still struggle with all kind of test flakiness/etc...
     * this is just one way to do it...jenkins can be utilized in various ways
   * option B (github actions):
     * "github actions" have a lot of resources in the background (iirc: you may use 20 instances of 2core xeons at a time to test a project)
     * configuring github actions is a bit different - you may need to get used to it - but so far I find it usefull :)
     * some asf projects are already utilizing "github actions" like ozone and calcite
     * there are some limitations of GA: like publishing test reports is not really possible.. if red/green is enough then that might not even be important...

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/git+-+.asf.yaml+features
[2] https://www.jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/examples/

cheers,
Zoltan

Posted by Dmitry Grinenko <dg...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Zoltan,

You information is really useful.

While i would definitely need Jenkins for such things as automatic pull
request linking to the jira i would like to give a shot for github
actions and try them and decide what is better.
It's like green/red is enough for us, but with the possibility to check
the test report (no need to publish it anywhere)

One question is - how to access the configuration section for the ASF
GitHub project?  Is there any doc or i need some special permissions?

Thanks in advance