Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by "jleroux@apache.org" <jl...@apache.org> on 2016/08/20 05:29:33 UTC

Sharing the burden of maintaining documentation

Hi,

Not so long ago Jacopo suggested that we use our versionning system (ie currently Subversion) to maintain the documentation. Or at least the most
important or entry points of the documentation which will still stay on our wiki (ie Confluence)

I think that by creating MarkDown files (or other types but we already started with README.ME for Gradle) and implementing
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7723 "Use Pandoc to integrate our README.MD from repo to Confluence" we could not only easily share the
burden of maintaining documentation but also have an easier and more reliable way for it (believe me Confluence has still its quirks when updating big
pages)

So we would create .MD files and locally relies to transform them in .HTML files still in the svn repo, and then they should be automatically
integrated and updated in Confluence by its  HTML connector plugin

These files would be in the trunk branch or the website one.

Opinions?

Re: Sharing the burden of maintaining documentation

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
So a specific documentation branch?

Jacques

Le 20/08/2016 � 17:32, Pierre Smits a �crit :

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Pierre,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mmm, I missed so say something about what leads me to write this email, let me explain.

Sharan shared this tweet https://twitter.com/opensourceway/status/766000900582158336

I then looked into the article and finally landed there https://github.com/nayafia/contributing-template/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING-template.md

I thought it could be a good idea to have this adapted in our trunk root folder

I remember Sharan also shared a tweet where it was more question of roadmap. I can't find it back, but that was also one of the reasons I revivified

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document

Jacques

Le 20/08/2016 � 07:29, jleroux@apache.org a �crit :

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

The documentation discussion has come up a few times and I think the last time we talked about some of the topics that are coming up again here.

I agree that some form of version control will help us and means that it can be linked to a release.

On the choice of tool, thanks Taher for the brief pros and cons summary of options.

Docbook \u2013 this has been available in OFBiz for a while, but the implementation we have of it, is not a complete one (i.e. only limited tags work) which means there was something not quite right with the way that we want to use it. I seem to remember it was related to speed of the way things are rendered using it. (Also to be able to use the Webhelp we would have to convert the documents to HTML to display it.)

AsciiDoc \u2013 I had a brief go with this too and did find it a lot easier to use but a little basic.

Dita \u2013 Looking at what we want the documentation to achieve, (structured multiple formats, re-use, etc) I think Dita could be a good option that could provide a lot of flexibility and adapt to the project needs. Ron and I had a brief go at setting up a DITA proof of concept. I didn't get very far mainly because of I didnt have any full examples of the documentation I wanted to produce. (Think of it of like having a blank page and someone saying produce the best documentation ever! Where do you start?)

BTW - I'm doing some work offline with Craig Parker (some of you might have remembered that he posted  a thread a while ago about getting a basic user guide setup). I think if we can at least pull together an example guide and the information that needs to be in it, then it will be easier to analyse and transform that information in a range of documentation settings where it can be re-used (and that strongly ties in with the Dita model.)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 20/08/2016 � 21:15, Jacques Le Roux a �crit :

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Great, it seems we are aiming for similar objectives.

Yeah it would be difficult to know where to place "generic" documentation.
Perhaps things that are very generic can simply be placed in the base
component? I think the choice of the tool would have an influence on where
to put things and how to organize them.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Jacques Le Roux <

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 20/08/2016 � 20:16, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :
> Hi Jacques,
>
> Thank you for the feedback, based on your input I would summarize as
> follows:
>
> The problem with confluence and the reason we have a mess in the first
> place is that it is not under Version Control and it is not part of the
> code base. It is much easier to update the documentation if it's living
> side-by-side with your code. Many times for example when I update the build
> script I just go and fix the readme file immediately in one commit.
>
> As for non committers not being able to update I don't think this is a big
> problem. Yes it might cause a bit of a delay but it goes through the same
> process as just submitting code. For one thing it is better to have a fresh
> pair of eyes reviewing before committing if nothing else.
>
> So this is why I am recommending a powerful publishing solution, not only
> for the ability to generate PDF documents but also to interplay with the
> wiki or any other means of providing documentation to our users. I would
> like to think of our documentation as being similar to the way we generate
> javadocs.

Yes I agree, due to the level of contributions from contributors in wiki I think we can use the same process than for code, ie
1. discuss on dev ML if necessary
2. patch on Jira

> In summary I suggest the following:
>
> - Minimize the use of short documentation to a few areas where it's useful
> in readme markdown files

+1

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,