Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Rajib Khan <ra...@arlnet.com> on 2009/05/19 09:08:14 UTC

HTML encoding on ftl

Hi,

We are currently upgrading our system to release-0904. We noticed that ofbiz
imposes security with HTML code input / output.

*Input:* In our customized version of ofbiz we are using "allow-html"
parameter to accept "html" for a specific service attribute.
This allowed us to store html data in the database.

<service name="createNote" engine="java"
             location="org.ofbiz.common.CommonServices" invoke="createNote">
<attribute name="note" type="String" mode="IN" allow-html="safe"/>
</service>

*Output: *But we found that on the screen HTML data is rendered as an
encoded string and which in turn displays all the HTML code.
Example:
======
code fragment in the ftl file:
dispaly on the browser:
===============

*Question:*
How can the stored HTML data be rendered properly?  Is there any
configuration for rendering HTML data?

Regards,
Rajib

Re: HTML encoding on ftl

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
David,

thanks for your explanation and in general i agree with you. However we
should make an exception using the ofbiz type of fields. Any
'description' or 'name' type of field should have the default html-allow
set to safe in order to use the  ">" and "<" characters.

example in the entity content:
      <field name="contentName" type="name"></field>
      <field name="description" type="description"></field>

or customer request:
      <field name="custRequestName" type="name"></field>
      <field name="description" type="description"></field>

My customers use these characters frequently.

Regards,
Hans

--
Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates

Re: HTML encoding on ftl

Posted by Rajib Khan <ra...@arlnet.com>.
Hi,

Currently I'm planning to customize "StringUtil.java" with the following
modification for our system to render HTML screens.
Please let me know if this is not the right place to customize.
===========
public static class HtmlEncoder implements SimpleEncoder {
        boolean encodeEnabled =
UtilProperties.propertyValueEqualsIgnoreCase("general.properties",
"html.encode.on", "Y");
        public String encode(String original) {
            if (encodeEnabled) {
                return StringUtil.defaultWebEncoder.encodeForHTML(original);
            }
            Debug.logWarning("**** HTML encoding turned off! to enable
encoding set 'html.encode.on' to 'Y' in 'general.properties'", module);
            return original;
        }
 }
===========